W202 230 k engine conversion.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W202Cov

Car
w202 c200 esprit
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum, well i may have forgotten my old log in. I'm hoping some one can help as I've tried facebook groups but nost people on their seem to just want to post rather than answer your question.

So here goes, I'm going to do 230 kompressor conversion into my w202 1996 c200 esprit.

Now i understand that i require the
Engine, gearbox, Ecu, wiring, supercharger, keys, ignition barrel, and immobiliser box.

Would i need the clocks too as on the 1996 c class they are the old black ones up to 140, not the later white dials.
Also if anyone knows of any thing else i may need that I've missed out, it would be a huge help.

Thank you in advance

Dav

Hi,
As youre car is a prefacelift are you sourcing the engine , ECU etcc, from a prefacelift 202?

Do you realise how much work this will involve?
Different fuel injection systems, the ECU from the new engine will have to have the ESP/ASR coded out, and if as I suspect you want it manual gearbox then you will have to have that coded, also the newer engine will be fly by wire throttle and the prefacelift car was a cable.
You will then need to install the later EIS and steering lock, potential issues with the brake light switch as this is used
The engine on its own would be fine, but you need the earlier engine ancillaries.
Everything is possible, but it was a big job converting your car to a C230K with right era engine but to try to do it with a later engine unless you have a lot of time and a good understanding of all things that will require updating changing then I don't think its viable.
Is there a specific reason why you don't want to buy the earlier engine?

Do you realise how much work this will involve?
Different fuel injection systems, the ECU from the new engine will have to have the ESP/ASR coded out, and if as I suspect you want it manual gearbox then you will have to have that coded, also the newer engine will be fly by wire throttle and the prefacelift car was a cable.
You will then need to install the later EIS and steering lock, potential issues with the brake light switch as this is used
The engine on its own would be fine, but you need the earlier engine ancillaries.
Everything is possible, but it was a big job converting your car to a C230K with right era engine but to try to do it with a later engine unless you have a lot of time and a good understanding of all things that will require updating changing then I don't think its viable.
Is there a specific reason why you don't want to buy the earlier engine?

I just thought the later engine is more readily available.. That was the only reason for the later one. Do you know what the engine code is for the earlier ones and which year they were up to?

Is a 280 lump the same amount if work?!

The head gasket has gone on mine currently so that's the reason for the engine transplant. I would stick to automatic, i just prefer the drive.. I'm trying to save the car amd keep it on the road. All your advice is much appreciated.

Hi
I thought that might be the reason why you were going to use the later engine, but you will need all the ancillaries including the cooler, cooler pipework, air box etc as there bypass valves etc in them, probably better trying to get a parts car to ensure you get all the parts.
The engine code you are looking for is a 111975, this from my P plate reg.1997 MY 1996.
If you went for the 280 you would need to look for the straight 6, rather than a V6, probably less ancillaries to worry about than the 230k but you would probably be replacing the Gearbox as well, and should really need to upgrade the brakes and suspension as the engine is a lot heavier.
Neither swap will be either quick, easy or cheap, if this an exercise in getting more power then ok
But to be honest it will be far easier just to replace the head gasket of you're 2 litre motor.

When I was a young man :) I swapped the engine in my Astra 1.6SR with a 1.8L engine (easy swap, same OHC engine type) and replaced the single carburettor with a pair of side-draft Webbers (among other mods...).

I have also fitted OZ Racing wheels, Spax springs, and Koni adjustable dampers. But I didn't upgrade the brakes....

The 1.6SR had solid front discs, while the 1.8 GTE had ventilated front discs.

The first time I took the car for an 'enthusiastic' drive, I experienced brake fade... pretty scarry stuff. When I finally came to a halt, there was
a burnt smell from the front brakes and you could actually feel the heat radiating from them.

I swapped the standard front brakes with grooved Tarox discs and pads, and never had brake fade since.

(And when I got older I stopped driving like a pillock, that may also had something to do with it :D )

Hi
I thought that might be the reason why you were going to use the later engine, but you will need all the ancillaries including the cooler, cooler pipework, air box etc as there bypass valves etc in them, probably better trying to get a parts car to ensure you get all the parts.
The engine code you are looking for is a 111975, this from my P plate reg.1997 MY 1996.
If you went for the 280 you would need to look for the straight 6, rather than a V6, probably less ancillaries to worry about than the 230k but you would probably be replacing the Gearbox as well, and should really need to upgrade the brakes and suspension as the engine is a lot heavier.
Neither swap will be either quick, easy or cheap, if this an exercise in getting more power then ok
But to be honest it will be far easier just to replace the head gasket of you're 2 litre motor.

Thanks so much for your detailed replies... It's helping me to see whaty best options are.. I'm getting very mixed prices for headgasket, from 400 to 1200.
What should it cost?
Now im also thinking whether to save the car 🤷🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️

When I was a young man :) I swapped the engine in my Astra 1.6SR with a 1.8L engine (easy swap, same OHC engine type) and replaced the single carburettor with a pair of side-draft Webbers (among other mods...).

I have also fitted OZ Racing wheels, Spax springs, and Koni adjustable dampers. But I didn't upgrade the brakes....

The 1.6SR had solid front discs, while the 1.8 GTE had ventilated front discs.

The first time I took the car for an 'enthusiastic' drive, I experienced brake fade... pretty scarry stuff. When I finally came to a halt, there was
a burnt smell from the front brakes and you could actually feel the heat radiating from them.

I swapped the standard front brakes with grooved Tarox discs and pads, and never had brake fade since.

(And when I got older I stopped driving like a pillock, that may also had something to do with it :D )

🤣🤣🤣.. I'm not a boy racer or a racer, i just like to cruise.. But yes if i was going substantially bigger power, brakes would have been changed too.. I used to do the vw shows so had a few modded dubs.. Just never thought of have to the engine on a benz as they're usually bullet proof

What is the going rate to have the head gasket done and head skimmed?

£700 - £1000 depending on your area and what quality parts are used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom