W202 230K Airbox Photos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whitey

Car
Seat Arosa 1.4 Auto :-(
Hi guys

Popped down to MB today to get an airfilter and rather than just pop it in, I decided to clean out the airbox.

I found that the years of oil vapour had perished some noise dampening foam and half of it had been sucked in ! I visually inspected the MAF grille which was clear, not sure about the tea strainer after the throttle - but it wouldn't have made it past the MAF.

The plastic collar holding the foam unclips easily; the foam broke down completely !

I decided to remove the trumpet and recirc tubing to see what effect this would have; the drive to work proved uneventful, with a little more S/C and bypass chuff on lift off.

All this is completely reversable as nothing needed cutting.

I currently get ~280 miles till light on and am hoping a fresh filter may improve things as the old one, though 'clean', had a good coating of oil mist.

I took some photos for your amusement :

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0071.jpg

Be interesting if the intake is the same on other models, but I think most of the tubing is to quiet down the intake noises !

Yep all foam removed from my airbox on the w208 as well because of the same problem, never noticed a difference in noise level afterwards.

Something for the other half to have a look at :D

It's not a major problem really, just once discovered, I couldn't leave it like that.

Sorry to bump, but relates to this post.

Yesterday I replaced the air oil separator and all its tubing, as the old one was gunned up bad. Took out all the pipe work, air filter box, intercooler, maf, all the way to the intake manifold (will clean that after I've put some seafoam through her).

Lots of oil had gathered in all of it, especially the maf pipework post intercooler. However, from seeing the above, I do have a couple of concerns,

The pipes in the airbox that have the foam bit, can they safely be removed? From above I think so, but want to confirm as I had to remove the foam, as it was dropping in oil and broken down to a mush and don't see the point in the pipes being there, so want to remove unless it'll be a bad thing.

Also, the op had a gasket (white) for the valve thingy that bolts to the airbox lid. Is this needed? As I didn't have one and assembled without it!

Thanks, Upex

Just goes to show how much trouble manufacturers go to to get through a drive by noise test!

Tim, do you know if these little pipes in the box can be removed safely then? Also, is that white paper gasket for the valve thingy needed? As I haven't got one and reassembled without it.

Thanks, Upex

Upex said:
Tim, do you know if these little pipes in the box can be removed safely then? Also, is that white paper gasket for the valve thingy needed? As I haven't got one and reassembled without it. Thanks, Upex

Hi Upex, I'm not so familiar with this car but, looks like the valve body is part of the recirculating device to control boost pressure. If I were you I would remove all the loose foam and stick it all back as it should be, the pipe work looks as if it is part of the recirculating loop so if this is the case it is there for a purpose. As for the gasket, see if you can get a replacement.

Thanks Tim. I'll leave the pipework as is, but haven't a clue to find the gasket. Google here I come eh!

Many thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom