W202 2nd DIN Install + Sat Nav Options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Has anyone installed a 2nd DIN unit in their W202?

I ask as I am thinking the gap above the ash tray could be fairly easily converted to house a DIN unit.

I think Koolvin mentioned Alps had done this...

Anyone got any pics/advice?

Basically I want integrated Sat Nav, on a budget without having to replace/sell my current Kenwood MP3 Head Unit and 10 Disc Changer setup.

I am looking into this:

NVS613-Eu_01.gif

Info

I'm thinking to have that in the current OEM DIN slot and move my Kenwood MASK down. I have my old "cubby hole" which I would use to base the DIN slot on. I'm sure I can buy/make an adapter to give me two ISO connections. The Clarion does not need a speaker out put as it has one built in.

Cost is £999, but is a proper display Sat nav unit.

What do you think?

More in keeping with my price liking is this:

dxr52b_xl.jpg

Info

Would still need to make the additional DIN fitting, but this is only £499.00

One question - will I run into any trouble with two devices feeding the same speaker cables? Had I better install a small mono speaker just for the sat nav voice?

Jimmy - can your Travel Pilot be set to Nav instructions - ie no radio audio?

FAO Jimmy (and others!)

I've nearly convinced myself to go get the Blaupunkt, pending a few technical queries on Talk Audio.

Jimmy - What's involved in fitting - connection to ISO loom, plug in Sat Nav aerial - anything else?

Can you take a look and see how the features compare to yours and add any comments you have.

I take it I can use any DX disk for UK/Europe like the Command units use?

cheers

Graham

Last edited:
you wouldnt be able to use your dx disk in the clarion system as they use their own specific software,other connections you may have to make is linking into reverse light circuit and maybe speed pulse if its not already on your iso block (i spent ages looking for this before Koolvin helped me out).

I gather that you are worried about the sound quality from the Travel Pilolt? If you want you can come and listen to mine, it really is good even with my OE front speakers. You could plug it into your car if you like and have a listen with your setup.

If you think you will miss MP3 then there is a MP3 player available based on a IBM 1GB micro drive. You would need to change your CD changer too as I doubpt they would be compatible. You could sell your current setup to help pay for it.

Sat Nav on the Blaupunkt is briiliant, OK it has a small screen but it tells you all you need to know. How far to go, how far to next junction, time of arrival, arrows to tell you which way to go and full voice instructions. Routing and re-calculating routes is very quick and TMC will be available soon to divert you past traffic jams.

Fully recommend the DXR-70, depends if you want a fancy colour screen.

No, I just like my Kenwood - the MP3, the MASK front, the display etc.

Changing all that is big outlay - £500 on the Blaupunkt is acceptable.

What are the missing Navigation functions?

Display is acceptable - found the mono display on Dorians APS3 fine.

Remember I will be installing this as a 2nd unit - when not lost this will not even be switched on!!

Can it be set just to nav instructions - ie no radio?

Hi Graham

I have installed a graphic EQ above the ashtray, but its not a full sized unit, its only a facia unit with a cable on it!

not sure if that helps, if you look at my pics on club202 you will see it under the mail alpine unit

Thanks.

Luckily I have the spare cubby hole part and a headunit - it fits just fine and will make a nice snug fit when I cut the back of the tray out so the headunit can push right in.

Hope there is room behind there.....better test it and see.

Most important info I need now:

Can the Blaupunkt be set just to Navigation instructions - or does it always have to have the radio or another audio source playing too?

Although I will have a separate speaker for this (the direction instructions) - it's no good if it's playing it's own audio too!

Originally posted by fuzzer
Why not do an install like Vinny's? With the screen in there:D

Money tree not fruitfull this year.

Prototype

OK, just need to hear from Jimmy about the voice without audio problem, but in the mean time thought I should knock up a prototype to check there is enough space etc before I spend my cash.

I cut my old cubby hole, so that the top and sides were removed, leaving the front and bottom structural parts intact.

Shown here with a (mask) Head Unit 95% in.

2hucage.jpg

See how it looks - I think it's going to work nicely. In these shots neither the "cage" or Headunit within it are pushed in totally - the fit is so good, I wanted to be sure it would come out again!

2hu.jpg

My view with gearstick in 5th.

2hu5.jpg

The end result would be flush remember and I think the view of the Sat Nav display will be acceptable.

That seems like a really good price for the Travel Pilot , so good I might even get one myself.But first I was wondering:

Has anyone seen it cheaper anywhere else?

Does it come with a GPS antenna?

Is the disk it comes with any good?

Will the connector for my existing Blaupunkt radio fit and does it include the speed pulse (I’m sure it does because it’s been mentioned on here so often)

Thanks.

Originally posted by Simon
Has anyone seen it cheaper anywhere else?

That price is the cheapest by far. However I have mailed Car Audio Direct who don't list it on their site, but may be able to get them (they are normally very good on price and are trustworthy). I have also emailed bluespot as they are based in Woodstock which is less than an hour from me - requesting if I an see one first and if they can reduce price for me collecting.

Does it come with a GPS antenna?

I believe so.

Is the disk it comes with any good?

You get a UK disk and a major routes of Europe CD. I think these are the same disks that the people with Command use.....don't hold me to that though.

You can mute the audio source but the navigation will still be heard over the speakers.

The unit will come with a matchbox sized GPS antennae.

It should come with either DX2001 or 2002 but I am sure you could easily pick up an evaluation DX2003 CD.;)

Always found these people very helpful: CEL Direct

I suppose it depends on source, but some places are advertising with 2003 CD included - best to check.

For the record I have made an entirley different choice to the two systems in this thread!

Will post when installed.

HI - Ref the Blaupunkt

I have the Blaupunkt on order... What I've found out to date is that..............
It wont work with my MB CD changer... One it will work with costs £164, so that makes it a bit less attractive.
It needs something called a GALA speed signal to turn the volume up as speed increases (important for me as mine's an SLK). My MB radio does this so I assume no problem.
It needs (I believe) another speed signal to help the sat nav work, but I've no idea where that's picked up from.
It needs a signal from the reversing light switch so the sat nav understands when you are travelling backwards
It comes with a "Matchbox size" GPS antenna which is supplied

I'm not about to confirm the order till I understand the above a bit better or make the decision to get the thing installed by a pro, WARNING .... The guys I'm buying from have told me some things that don't stack up. This means I don't really trust the info above. If anyone can tell me more I'd be grateful, if it helps anyone then you're welcome.
Bill

Re: HI - Ref the Blaupunkt

Originally posted by BillH
I have the Blaupunkt on order... What I've found out to date is that..............
It wont work with my MB CD changer... One it will work with costs £164, so that makes it a bit less attractive.
It needs something called a GALA speed signal to turn the volume up as speed increases (important for me as mine's an SLK). My MB radio does this so I assume no problem.
It needs (I believe) another speed signal to help the sat nav work, but I've no idea where that's picked up from.
It needs a signal from the reversing light switch so the sat nav understands when you are travelling backwards
It comes with a "Matchbox size" GPS antenna which is supplied

I'm not about to confirm the order till I understand the above a bit better or make the decision to get the thing installed by a pro, WARNING .... The guys I'm buying from have told me some things that don't stack up. This means I don't really trust the info above. If anyone can tell me more I'd be grateful, if it helps anyone then you're welcome.
Bill

I'm mid planning my install and hopefully will have a completed install on Saturday.

The cable which makes the volume increase/decrease is the speed pulse wire and that is the one the Sat Nav wants.

The reverse cable is really optional - as soon as you start going forward, the navigation will know where you are by GPS.

I can confirm what Graham has said having fitted a Blaupunkt Travel Pilot myself in my last two cars.

The speed pulse wire is in the ISO connector already, this is what controls the GALA feature to automatically adjust the volume according to speed. I did not bother with the reverse wire, you never reverse far enough to confuse the system.

I bought my 10 Disc changer from EuroCarParts, they were doing a deal on them at the time.

I may be interested in selling my CD changer as Blaupunkt do a MP3 changer that plugs in instead of the CD changer.

Thanks chaps !!

... as a result of your excellent info I confirmed the order, so should take delivery next week.
Jimmy, I put a hold on the CD changer... If you want to mail me a price on yours I'll give it some thought...
Regards
Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom