W202 Aircon settings / tactics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thephatmaster

Car
W202, C200 Saloon, Manual
Hi there,

My trusty rusty 202 is the only car in the family with working aircon (not climate) to keep the toddler cool in the current 30° heat.

I know it's 20 year old tech, with 20 year old components, but I seem to need to max it out to get much cooling. I wonder if I have the settings right?

It's been regassed, and blows nice and cool, current settings are 5 on the dial and "just face" on direction. Seems to work ok, but in 30° need to keep it at 5 most of the time to maintain a comfortable temperature.

Anyone have better settings, or is it a case of "it is what it is"

Steve

in 30 degrees with a 20 year old car that sounds about right. Aslong as its blowing cold air theres not much more you can do. Is the car black as that makes it much harder to keep cool.

Hi there,

My trusty rusty 202 is the only car in the family with working aircon (not climate) to keep the toddler cool in the current 30° heat.

I know it's 20 year old tech, with 20 year old components, but I seem to need to max it out to get much cooling. I wonder if I have the settings right?

It's been regassed, and blows nice and cool, current settings are 5 on the dial and "just face" on direction. Seems to work ok, but in 30° need to keep it at 5 most of the time to maintain a comfortable temperature.

Anyone have better settings, or is it a case of "it is what it is"

Steve
I used to have a 202 and this isn't my experience. Mine was actually way better than my current 205, which is pitiful unless the car happens to be in direct sunlight. How long ago were your cabin filter(s) changed? If they're old or clogged then you'll get very little airflow (if I understand your question right).

When it's hot outside AC system is struggling to keep the cabin cool.
W202 had a low cost manual AC system and the AMG models had the ECC which was better but not by that much!
Unfortunately these cars didn't come with dual zone climate system.
If your system is re-gassed there isn't much you can do if there is no leak in the system?

For the final drive going home.
Try to park in a cool area where you know it's shade away from the sun during daytime.
Next time you go for a ride it won't be a sauna inside for your toddler.

Best is to park the car in a garage if it's possible for you?

Its on a driveway in full sun usually, and has dark blue interior.

Not a bad idea checking the cabin filter. I usually do it every 2yrs, but can't see from my records when that was last done

Would you go for an OE filter or genuine replacement at about twice the cost?

Once the cabin is below external air temp, can you activate a 'recirculation' function to continue to cool the interior air, otherwise the aircon is trying to always cool the hotter air coming in from outside.

It's what I do with my 2011 E class and it can get the inside nice and fresh this way when on a run.

Is the temp sensor in the car that provides the closed loop control functional?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom