W202 alarm replacement options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quarryman

Car
W202 C180
I have a C180 W202.

2 problems:

1. I only have 1 key fob
2. The range on the fob is poor and I need to point it directly into the car from less than 5 for it to work. (I've tried replacing the batteries).

So what are my options in terms of replacing the alarm (or at least the central locking portion) with a new unit with better fobs etc?

Also, to kill 2 birds with one stone. Can I place the immobilisor chip in the EIS somehow meaning all I need to do is turn the key to start the car? I would then just use the fob for the central locking.

Thanks for any help.

the amplifier in the alarm is prbally at fault its in the passenger side rear pillar near back window it could be down to a bad connection i would check that first

ok cheers. How far away do you normally have to be from the car to get the fob to work? Most of my other cars I've always been able to lock from inside the house pointing at the car on the drive? This one I seem to need to be right beside...

99. Post facelift.

I have this key:

item149190.gif

yes its the IR key the amplifier that receives the signal may be at fault i would start their

you should have 50 feet with that key

check connections on the amp

i sure i have one some were if it turns out to be at fault pay postage if i find it and its yours

ok I'll take a look. Do I access it from under the passenger seat or the boot?

Thanks for the offer of the part, I'll see what I find.

no its in the pillar next to headrest passenger side rear headrest pillar

Ah sorry, read it as C pillar.

Just spotted a comment elsewhere questioning the radio antenna. My FM radio seems to have poor signal. Are these 2 things related?

Last edited:
Found it. It was on the drivers side rear. Seems ok.

It seems to be getting 12v.

Disconnected the coax and radio reception vanished.

Disconnected the power and the radio seemed fine. Obviously the amplification makes no difference to the radio, it just needs to be connected to the antenna?

I think I'll take that antenna amp off you if still want to send it?

Thanks again for the help.

I think I'll open a more accurate thread title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom