W202 ASR Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

funkymonkey

Morning folks!

I've scoured the forums, but not found anyone with symptoms like mine, so I'm putting it out there hopefully someone may be able to help!

Car is a 2000 W202 C230K with ~115k on the clock. Every so often (maybe once in 50 miles) while driving along the traction control light in the centre of the speedo flashes up. Most of the time it just flashes and the car doesn't react to anything, its just a flashing light. However less often, the ASR kicks in and the front left wheel reacts as if it is loosing traction (an ABS style braking and associated pull to the left). After a couple of seconds it stops and all returns to normal. The ABS event nearly always happens when driving in a straight line.

The weird thing is, I have no warning lights at all, only the traction control light when it is actually happening. What worries me however is that the classic BAS / ASR warning light never illuminates, not even when turning the ignition on whaen all dash lights normally come on. Is this normal? Has someone disabled the light to hide the problem?

HELP!!!

cherrs guys!

What worries me however is that the classic BAS / ASR warning light never illuminates, not even when turning the ignition on whaen all dash lights normally come on.

I'd say the bulb is blown or missing. As for the other possible issues I won't comment for fear of sending you on a wild goose chase. Check the bulb first and then get the car hooked up to STAR.

Awesome, thanks! Whats the best way of checking the bulb?

No prob.

Just extend the St.wheel to max, insert a set of Cluster pullers or similar, have a look here:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/interior/170673-cluster-pullers.html.

BTW, you mentioned that the TC light flashes every so often, that occurs on my C230K too but only when I'm giving it wellie on mixed surfaces or overtaking while hitting painted road makings. I doubt you have an issue there as they are a torquey engine.

I have the asr module left over from a 202. Yours if you need it for postage cost. Ill get the number off it later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom