W202 auto box not selecting gear

Discussion in 'Engine' started by John_Doe, Oct 12, 2011.

1. John_Doe

John_Doe Active Member

Car:
    C32
    Oh the joys of owning a w202!

Last night I went for a drive for the first time in a little while ad I noticed that the gear changes were really fierce. While it was cold it was really banging in to gear. I ignored and though it just needs a run. I stopped off to get take away and then on the way home it seemed that she was stuck in 4th gear. I tried the manual gears but nothing. Would only stay in it's gear it was in. Would still get up to motorway speed but even lockdown would not give it any power. Once I got home I turned the engine off after cursing her a few times and went indoors for a few mins. I went bcd out and took her for a spin again and bloody typical she was fine.

Today on my way home from work it did it again, the gear changes were normal but I was following a car who stopped rather suddenly so I slowed right down to stop. Then as I pulled away it knocked into gear fiercely again. Then again it would stay in 4th the whole way home. I stopped and tried to select reverse but nothing. It would go to neutral but not reverse. Then it finally went in with a bang. Turned around and went back to drive but now it would only stay in 2nd gear! So again tried manual gears but nothing so kept at low speed hoping it would change but no. When I got home I noticed that she was really hot, temp gauge was really high and the res cap was starting to bubble. Only one front fan was on so I need a new one. Anyways not so worried about that as if I dont fix the other problem I'm without a car yet again!

Any ideas? I thought it would just be the gearbox but why would it reset and be fine when i turn the engine off and on again?

2. carat 3.6

carat 3.6 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    96 e300d, 88 w124 superturbodiesel, 90 bmw E30 v8, + "others"
    Could be oil in the gearbox loom. :dk:

3. K1RK5

K1RK5 New Member

Car:
    slk 230
    I've got same problem on my slk found out its speed sensor, check atf level, or get diagnostic done sounds like speed sensor, if it OS codes should be p0715 or around that number

4. CKLclive

CKLclive Banned

Car:
    CLK 430
    sounds like the speed sensor plate in the gearbox needs replacing about £150 for the part and do an atf filter and fliud change too

5. OP
    OP
    John_Doe

John_Doe Active Member

Car:
    C32
    Well you were correct. I plugged in my diagnostic tool I found in the lift and I have 2 faults and one pending :-s. codes p1235 and p1236. And the pending is p0175. So I shall be attempting to replace the speed sensor at some point

6. OP
    OP
    John_Doe

John_Doe Active Member

Car:
    C32
    Ok well being a typical bloke i decided to leave this job until a later date. And now im getting a bit p!ssd off lol. I just want to double check that it does sound like the speed sensor as its now doing alot of random things.

She will jump out of gear at random speeds and just select neutral. I have to pull over and switch the engine off and on to get it to reset.

The other day she really struggled to move in reverse, had to really give it some to get her out of the parking bay.

And still selecting a gear and sticking to it. Sometimes if im really unlucky it will change while driving. For example doing 70 the other day it randomly kicked down to 3rd/4th and i nearly headbutted the steering wheel because of the shift.

Does that sound speed sensor? has anyone done one before and is it hard? when i search for this job i can only find info on the newer models

7. Shude

Shude Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    Have you checked the ATF level yet? Before you replace any parts please just check the ATF as your symptoms match mine exactly from a couple of years ago and it was low ATF due to a minor leak.

8. horgantrevor

horgantrevor MB Enthusiast

Car:
    w202 c43 & w210 E220 CDI estate w219 W221
    start with the basics

fluid level check with engine running oil hot move up and down the gears a few times at stand still and check level

then look at other things

9. OP
    OP
    John_Doe

John_Doe Active Member

Car:
    C32
    No still not checked ATF level. To be honest I would have no idea how. My last w202 didn't just had a bit of tissue in the end of the pipe! I will search how to check and then try this first. Thanks for your help I will get back to you

10. AMGeed

AMGeed Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2014 E63 Biturbo
    As in Post#8, get the engine temperature up to 80c and check the fluid level.
    The dipstick can be found on ebay for a few quid eg, Mercedes gearbox dipstick | eBay. The dipstick apeture is located under a black(or red) plastic cover on the top left of the engine looking from the front.
    If the fluid level is good, time to get it on Star for fault codes to find out more.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  11. OP
    OP
    John_Doe

John_Doe Active Member

Car:
    C32
    I phoned Mercedes today to ask how much for the dipstick, £32 + Vat! lol umm ebay it is!

12. OP
    OP
    John_Doe

John_Doe Active Member

Car:
    C32
    lmao, umm well... what i did was... ummm checked the levels and umm... well... it was kinda like a little bit low... like under the min level... so I filled it up with a small bottle of ATF and she hasn't jumped out of gear yet! lol so I am going to say she is fixed! What a idiot, cursing the car because i failed to check my levels.

1 person likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    John_Doe

John_Doe Active Member

Car:
    C32
    Well she playing up again. So it either wernt that and I've been lucky for the past few days, or she leaking badly somewhere

14. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    Check that level again. It does sound that you may have a leak.

15. OP
    OP
    John_Doe

John_Doe Active Member

Car:
    C32
    Will do, I will try and check tomorrow if I get chance. It's not as bad as before and only started after thrashing a bit on motorway but will only get worse again

16. OP
    OP
    John_Doe

John_Doe Active Member

Car:
    C32
    Ok well it's definitely leaking! I haven't been using this car for a while now so I decided to take it out the other day and noticed it was bad. When I went home I noticed the leak where I parked before. So I ordered a new seal hoping it might just be that. Replaced the seal even though the old one looked fairly new. Noticed alot of gasket type sealant around the front drivers side corner. So removed all that before replacing the seal. Filled back up with 2.5l of fluid (later found out it's more like 5.5). Took it for a spin to get the engine warm and parked back up.

Went out today and all my nice new fluid is back out the box and on the floor! If it's not leaking from the bottom seal it's got to be pretty serious. Any comments/ suggestions?

17. joe prosser

joe prosser Member

Car:
    E 200 estate (W124)
    Ok so you now know what the problem is it's just a matter of locating the leak. Fill her up with ATF, start the car and get her up to running temperature. Wipe the the sump and transmission pan down and lie on a bit of carpet to see where the drip emanates from; the wipe down may give the best indication as the oil leak path will often clean up the easiest. The auto transmission can leak from the ATF cooling pipes, the transmission pan gasket or the torque converter central seal. The first two are easy and the latter will be seen as a dribble out the bottom of the bell housing. You mention a surplus of gasket seal and this would indicate that someone may have already located a leak and has tried, with limited success, to fix it before. I had an autotransmission that once dripped oil from around the speedo cable union to the box. On closer inspection the o ring and retaining circlip was missing and a previous owner had tried to fix this by using loads of silcone sealant. Renewal of the missing items ensured a leak free speedo cable. Leaks indicate either a crack in an existing seal or a bodged repair.

18. NW_Merc

NW_Merc Banned

Car:
    1994 Mercedes C180 classic
    Are you sure that the gearbox sump is seated properly because if it isnt, it can cause the seal to become non-uniform and cause a leak. I had this problem on my other W202 and it was the gasket not sitting due to the sump pan being warped.

19. OP
    OP
    John_Doe

John_Doe Active Member

Car:
    C32
    I still ain't had chance to have a look at this. Unfortunately I don't really have the time, skill or the money at the moment.

Would anyone know a rough price for a worse case scenario if I was to just take it to a garage? Obviously the car ain't worth a great deal and as I was looking to part exchange it soon, I'd rather not spend a few hundred fixing a leak just to get £500 part ex.

20. mauno

mauno Active Member

Car:
    W203 C200K T model classic/ W168 1.4 avantgarde
    where are you based?