w202 autobox problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gegs88

Car
c240 sport estate
Hi all.
I had a weird thing happen yesterday in my 2000 c240 auto.
While coming off the motorway slowing down the autobox gave a bang. (similar to a manual box jumping out of gear)
All of a sudden i lost all drive. No tiptronic change either.....
I coasted onto the hard shoulder down to about 2/3mph and was alternating between n/d (dont know why, it just seemed like the thing to do).
After 2 or 3 changes the drive came back as if nothing had happened.
The car still pulls like a train and didnt do it again all day.
Are there any common or known faults with these boxes? that don't involve a cash loss of £700 for a second hand unit.

The weathers been to crappy to nip out and check the atf but the guy i got it off did have a reciept for a change and flush last year.
Cheers

definitely check the fluid. if it does end up needing to be changed these units are ten a penny. you can get one for 100-200. no point spending much more than that. fitting is easy as it's rwd or 100-200 again in labour. I've broke a few 202s as in my opinion they are worth a lot more in bits especially if they are rotten, I never really bother with the gearbox's as I don't want to be sitting on something for a small return. time is money and so is space. good luck with it

What's the mileage?

Cheers for that matey. There is some rot but its too much of a car to get shut of.
Mileage is 106'000 so not really high and the majority of it is motorway miles.
I'll get the fluid checked first chance i get (might have to get a dipstick yet though)

the tiptronic gearbox which came in 2000 the last year for w202 is improved vs 97-98-99 geaboxes which caused lots of problems if they weren't serviced properly?

I assume you have the +/- geabox as your car is a 2000?
you shouldn't have problems with this box as it should have updated parts.
just service with fresh oil and filter and be happy

I have a 99 C43 AMG, my car only covered 108000km's, box still running like a golden champ, i hope i don't get future problems with mine.
i serviced trans with new oil/filter a few times, changed the conductor plate and pilot bushing so far.
i hope this will keep my trans in good mood for many years ahead?

I do have the tiptronic m8. Ive had loads of autos but never come across this problem. I think im gonna drop the sump and give it a change and new filter.
Is there anything else worth checking/ doing while im in there?

check for metal shavings from cogs.
maybe you have the added magnet which came on newer trannys?
i bought this for my car

Just a quick update on this........

Ive not been able to get to to the car to sort it so i bit the bullet and got it into an indie in st helens.
Fault codes were sporadic slippage and something about gear ratios.

Turns out the o'rings on the multiplug were weeping and over time it had been losing oil. Not enough to leak onto the floor so you could see it but enough so over the months it was losing enough to cause the problems.
So its been treated to a full session on star, full transmission flush and filter change including the o'rings.
The car drives like a new one now and the next move is to let him have the car back and get a full service done on it.

Local indie is:
Sdc motors on westside st helens,
sound lad, reasonable prices and really goes the extra mile to sort you out (stayed open a coiple of extra hours so i could get the car to him and squeezed it in at the last minute so i could use it today)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom