W202 - Axle stands under all four jack points

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LittleRestraint

Car
C200
Just a quick one...

Is it considered safe to to put the car on four axle stands, one under each rubber jack point?

I have two trolley jacks and a total of 8 axle stands kicking about. I just want to check my method seems ok on the W202..

1. Jack up the front using the cross member type part just in front of the steering damper
2. Jack up the back using the diff casing
3. Axle stands on all four rubber jack pads

Would it be worth putting anther couple of stands somewhere for added safety?

Am I best to use a bit of wood between the jack saddle and the car when lifting?

Thanks, always like to check these things the first time I get an unfamiliar car off the ground!

I would put the front on stands first and then jack up the rear and do them (rather than have the car airborne using just two trolly jacks) but yes, overall your plan looks fine.

If its dead flat. I once had a nissan navara on four jacks on a very slight slope, like one in 20. Two minutes after some hefty spannering, with me fully under it, it fell off. All by itself. Luckily i wasnt under it. If you do, lob a spare wheel or big bit of timber under too.

Thanks guys. I'm pretty paranoid/cautious anyway, so I'll put the wheels under as well.

My only concern is that I intend to try and remove the filler plug from the diff, which I'm told can be a real pig, so bit worried about wrestling with it too hard when I'm underneath. Also planning to change the flex disc as well.

Thanks for the help

Remember to undo the filler plug *before* you drain the diff, just in case you cant undo it....

My personal experience was that the plug was no problem at all and that was on 25+ year old Mercs.

Remember to undo the filler plug *before* you drain the diff, just in case you cant undo it....

My personal experience was that the plug was no problem at all and that was on 25+ year old Mercs.

Thanks mate, and yeah, going to attack the filler first, fingers crossed!

How awkward is access for refilling the diff? I'm thinking I'll be best getting some rubber hose to get the oil in from the bottle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom