W202 Boot opening at break neck speed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Feeble

Car
C43 AMG
Why does the boot on my C43 open at lightning speed? I've seen it written that having the reflective warning triangle missing can mean the boot weighs less, so will fly open. I replaced that before and it didn't make a difference.

Now i have just replaced the springs from my donor W202, which had a boot that popped open at a normal speed. The C43 boot still opens crazy fast, and now I have put the old springs into the donor car, that one springs open real fast too!

I'm putting these springs on the closest holes to each other. The centre hole out of the three makes it even worse.

What am I doing wrong here..?

It happens that the metal side-bracket with pre-drilled holes snaps off from hinges, then spring pops off.
This happens from fatigue.
Did this happen to you?
If you look with a flash light between the inner lining and hinge you can see if each side bracket is complete or broken on left and right side.
Lots of W202 have this problem.

My trunk just pops an inch and I have to pull it all the way up

One of the sides is still in one piece. I cant understand it though, the donor car had both sides snapped! Crazy cars...

One of the sides is still in one piece. I cant understand it though, the donor car had both sides snapped! Crazy cars...

The one side hinge with bracket is in one piece and the other side hinge has one bracket broken?
But trunk still manage to open in the speed of light?
That's weirdo?
You must have very healthy springs?

How did you adjust trunk popping up that fast?
Did you buy new springs?

Last edited:
Why does the boot on my C43 open at lightning speed? I've seen it written that having the reflective warning triangle missing can mean the boot weighs less, so will fly open. I replaced that before and it didn't make a difference.

Now i have just replaced the springs from my donor W202, which had a boot that popped open at a normal speed. The C43 boot still opens crazy fast, and now I have put the old springs into the donor car, that one springs open real fast too!

I'm putting these springs on the closest holes to each other. The centre hole out of the three makes it even worse.

What am I doing wrong here..?
I also have this problem, almost takes my chin off if I'm not careful. What ever I try, I can't stop this from happening, I just have to make sure I place my hand on top of the boot as I'm opening.

The one side hinge with bracket is in one piece and the other side hinge has one bracket broken?
That's weirdo?

Did you buy new springs?

I suppose there is a chance that they are not opening as fast as they possibly could! Maybe it could go faster still! Haha. It opens fast enough to worry me that it will smash the back window, let's put it that way!

The springs I put in were from a donor vehicle. Not new but they do look good and have the foam stuffed in them still. I have no reason to think they are newer than the car which is 20 years old though...

That's weirdo?

Did you buy new springs?

I suppose there is a chance that they are not opening as fast as they possibly could! Maybe it could go faster still! Haha. It opens fast enough to worry me that it will smash the back window, let's put it that way!

The springs I put in were from a donor vehicle. Not new but they do look good and have the foam stuffed in them still. I have no reason to think they are newer than the car which is 20 years old though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom