W202 Boot Selenoid - and lock. And main electrics. Ghost?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercFanUk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Hey all, my 202 has developed an issue. The physical boot lock has never worked, in fact you can actually pull the barrell right out. I was always able to open the boot with the keyfob or button on the dash however, so it was never an issue.

Today I opened the drivers door - interior and dash lights came on. Put the key in the ignition, turned one step, main dash lit up. Went to turn the key fully to start, and ALL my electrics died. I could get nothing to work, even the puddle lights in the door wouldnt doo anything.

After a few mins I opened the door again and all worked as should! Except my boot - I cannot open it anymore...

You cant hear anything clicking etc when trying the key or button on the dash - so now cannot get into the boot. Any ideas what to do? Also, any ideas why the electrics went so abruptly? It's never done it before, or since...

Faulty battery - not holding up under load. Test the voltage across the terminals while the key is in the start position.
You will need at least three hands to do this.
It might also be a dodgy connection to the battery - usually on the clamp.

Ok thanks, I can test that - once I get into the boot... Any way I can open it without using the actual key or fob/button?

As I mentioned the barrel slides out, so might be able to get to the inner workings.

If the hole is large enough, try putting your finger in, pointing downwards, whatever parts of the mechanism you can feel, try pushing to the right or left while at the same time applying light pressure, downwards to the boot lid, a bit of trial and error may yield results.

If the above is not successful, fashion a piece of wire similar to the picture, put the long end into the hole, pointing downwards and twist from side to side in the hope of catching the part of the mechanism that will trip the lock, again trial and error is required. The long end of the wire would need to be about 2 inches in lenth as opposed to the inch and a halve in the picture.

Dec
key%20wire.jpg

Ok, sliding the barrel out actually didnt get me as far as I'd hoped. It turns out I can still turn the lock and operate it, but it doesnt actually open the boot. I'm guessing the internal gubbins are a little siezed. Heres some blurry iphone photos of my lock:

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

If the fuse for the boot has gone, will jumping the contacts under the bonnet still work?

If it doesnt, is there anything else I can try?

Just borrow another fuse from the lighting or other circuit will do the same thing.
Try flooding whatever part you can with WD40 and leave for a while to soak in then try putting the barrel back and try with the key again, I would drench that barrel with WD40 as well.

Is there anything in the center of that picture that can be turned with narrow nosed pliers?

Dec

Just looking at your last picture, is there a hole in the center of that lock?, if there is then try pushing/poking a rod in there to see if that will do any good. The boot is normally unlocked by pushing the lock inwards.

Dec

When I put the barrel back in, I can fully operate the lock as normal - it just wont open still - I can push it in etc

Is there a hole in the center of that lock? as in first picture

Dec

Have you tried turning key in both directions, left and right. In your last picture, is there a hole in the bottom the cover on the left?

Dec

There is a hole in the top two pics, when I put the lock in it fits in snugly.

The main lock slides into the sleeve on the left of it neatly - when the pins are down (key inserted), it spins as it should in the sleeve.

The only suggestion I have is to get a wire coat hanger bent in different ways and poke around through whatever access hole you have, forward, back, left and right in the hope of contacting a lever to trip the lock however to improve your chances you will need to devise some means of drenching the inner’s of the lock with WD40.

Dec

Okay, after much fiddling and trying to get the boot open, looks like I cant :(

I nipped up to the local indie, and they recommended cutting through the firewall behind the back seats to get into the boot :( :(

Turns out the lock latch wont open with the key at all.

Ah well, at least I'll be able to get the push chair out of it!

The back of the seat has a metal structure and behind that there is a plastic panel that will have to be pushed back out of the way. You will have to remove the plastic clip on covers A and B, normally you would praise them off with your finger nail but you will need something to hook them and pull them off, if you can reach from the back seat.

You will need a narrow 10mm socket, a spanner wont work, with a ratchet and small extenuation bar.
You will need to be able to reach about 3 feet to the nuts, including the ratchet and socket in your hand.

The 2 bolts hold a square ring that the lock grabs when the boot is shut, the 2 bolts hold the ring in place so if the bolts are removed then the boot should open with the square ring still attached. That’s my theory however I don’t know if it will work, you can be the first to test it.

Dec

BootLock.jpg

InsideBoot.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom