w202 - Brabus 5.8ltr...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Than he does not have a kit.His car has got Engine,body exhaust etc by Brabus

Confused? Brabus would never send a brabus built car out with AMG brakes.

Brabus built a SL 55 K8 Roadster with the following spec:

The BRABUS K8 for the top-of-the-line SL model (SL55) comprises modifications to the supercharger drive in the form of a custom vibration damper and a new pulley for improved belt- drive geometry, high-performance metal catalysts, and an auxiliary circulation pump with opposing radiator. The power developed by the modified supercharged engine is increased from a standard 476 hp (355 kW)to 550 hp (410 kW) at 6,200 rpm. The maximum torque is 780 N·m (580 lb·ft) torque at 3,000 rpm. After the power treatment the roadster races to 60 mph (97 km/h) just 4.1 seconds, passes 120 mph (190 km/h) after exactly 13.6 seconds and reaches an electronically limited top speed 186 mph (299 km/h) with the limiter removed top speed would be well over 200 mph (320 km/h).

Every one I have ever seen has had Brabus brakes as in the photo in my earlier posts, but there could be an exception who knows

Last edited:
Does it depend on if the car went straight from the MB factory to Brabus to be done , or if the car was owned and driven around for a while before going for the conversion ..

Effectively converting a second hand car as opposed to a brand new box fresh one ?

Confused? Brabus would never send a brabus built car out with AMG brakes.

Brabus built a SL 55 K8 Roadster with the following spec:

The BRABUS K8 for the top-of-the-line SL model (SL55) comprises modifications to the supercharger drive in the form of a custom vibration damper and a new pulley for improved belt- drive geometry, high-performance metal catalysts, and an auxiliary circulation pump with opposing radiator. The power developed by the modified supercharged engine is increased from a standard 476 hp (355 kW)to 550 hp (410 kW) at 6,200 rpm. The maximum torque is 780 N·m (580 lb·ft) torque at 3,000 rpm. After the power treatment the roadster races to 60 mph (97 km/h) just 4.1 seconds, passes 120 mph (190 km/h) after exactly 13.6 seconds and reaches an electronically limited top speed 186 mph (299 km/h) with the limiter removed top speed would be well over 200 mph (320 km/h).

Every one I have ever seen has had Brabus brakes as in the photo in my earlier posts, but there could be an exception who knows

Don`t know Ian :dk:.Maybe they did,have a look at this one http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/spotted-ebay/100122-brabusk8-w220.html

Does it depend on if the car went straight from the MB factory to Brabus to be done , or if the car was owned and driven around for a while before going for the conversion ..

Effectively converting a second hand car as opposed to a brand new box fresh one ?

Spot on Howard most retro fits by Brabus usually carry the original car's components like the AMG brakes for example, same is true if you fit the K performance kits to do tuning mods without touching the rest of the car

If it has had a K8 performance kit fitted then it will still have the original AMG Brakes.

If it's a Brabus built K8 it will have Brabus Calipers and Brakes as in the one below.

I think unless component is part of the kit, it is mainly customer who decides what goes on the car. Brakes are not part of the K8. Unlike BRABUS 5.8, for example.

Brabus themselves told me any cars built buy them only carry their logo all traces of other badging or logo'd components are removed.

Sometimes employees act as if they, not the owners, own the company. I have not once been misinformed by their staff about certain things (and I only call them when I want to place an order). Pictures above only show how flexible BRABUS guidelines could be.

I think unless component is part of the kit, it is mainly customer who decides what goes on the car. Brakes are not part of the K8. Unlike BRABUS 5.8, for example.

Sometimes employees act as if they, not the owners, own the company. I have not once been misinformed by their staff about certain things (and I only call them when I want to place an order). Pictures above only show how flexible BRABUS guidelines could be.

Totally agree it is the customer that decides what goes on the car in terms of brabus "bits" As in my earlier post though Brabus Built a SL 55 K8 Roadster which had all the brabus parts and was a Brabus car.

It was a director of Brabus that told me they remove every trace of any other logo if it is one of their built cars and I have never ever seen a Brabus built car, with any other logo on it dating back to 1997 when I first started dealing with them.

Spot on Howard most retro fits by Brabus usually carry the original car's components like the AMG brakes for example, same is true if you fit the K performance kits to do tuning mods without touching the rest of the car

That's not always the case. BRABUS 5.8 conversion like one above is done after first 30,000 km, not on a newly built car.

That's not always the case. BRABUS 5.8 conversion like one above is done after first 30,000 km, not on a newly built car.

thats exactly what we said, the key word in there is "Conversion" not build The Sl55 K8 roadster was built by Brabus from new.

thats exactly what we said, the key word in there is "Conversion" not build The Sl55 K8 roadster was built by Brabus from new.

As any other company, BRABUS will try and sell as many components as they could to generate profit. That doesn't mean all cars that left BRABUS from 'new' have big brakes. One can order a car from BRABUS or have one converted by them with the same success. Eventually, all BRABUS do is change certain components of already made Mercedes-Benz.

Thats not a brabus car it's another one with an old K8 lump in it, the front bumper and other parts are incorrect.

here's a link to the Brabus Brochure for the W220 take a look at the brakes on page 5 thats the only Brakes Brabus have fitted. Theres a lot of so called Brabus cars advertised that aren't/

Not to upset other forum members, but these days almost every car with BRABUS centre caps proudly carries BRABUS badge on the boot. To say the W220 above ain't BRABUS because it doesn't have BRABUS bumpers is the same as to say if a car has at least one BRABUS component, e.g. wheels, it can be called BRABUS.

What defines BRABUS - Engine? Brakes? Bumpers? Sticker on the back? All of these components fitted together? To me an S55 K8 converted in your local garage is more of a BRABUS then a 2-litre chipped diesel with BRABUS plastic shipped from Bottrop.

The thing is that nowadays Brabus customizes diesels as well...Personally, the way I look at it, is if the car has a Brabus engine, then it "qualifies" to be called a BRABUS ;)

Bumpers, mirrors, badges, wheels can all be added easily, but an engine is "a bit" of work.

That W202 is f'ing gorgeous, although not sure how they're going to sell it for 20k.

Do you folks like the wheels? Personally I can't stand them :/

Would love to drop the C58 badge and cruise around, could probably eat quite a few well known motors for breakfast at the lights :D

Love the wheels ..

Put a C180 badge on it and you're away !

The thing is that nowadays Brabus customizes diesels as well...Personally, the way I look at it, is if the car has a Brabus engine, then it "qualifies" to be called a BRABUS ;)

That's not the point. BRABUS doesn't build cars from scratch (exotics aside) so it makes no difference whether the car they work on is used or never driven. Either can be fitted with full BRABUS outfit or just partial - benefit of choice. And since BRABUS don't make their own bumpers, only skirts, handful of their products are made for AMG, meaning even if the owner of that S55 above wanted BRABUS look, he couldn't easily get one. That doesn't make him less of a BRABUS car owner, as like you, I consider car to be BRABUS based on the engine, not cosmetic ornaments.

Amazing car, must be a hoot to drive, but i don't think those wheels suit the 202. The C55 (202 version) came with some nice split rim AMGs which look much better on this shape, then again they aren't Brabus I guess...

Looks to be in good condition judging by the pics, but the price is in cloud cuckoo land - I think £12k would be about right given the rarity and mileage.

Not to upset other forum members, but these days almost every car with BRABUS centre caps proudly carries BRABUS badge on the boot. To say the W220 above ain't BRABUS because it doesn't have BRABUS bumpers is the same as to say if a car has at least one BRABUS component, e.g. wheels, it can be called BRABUS.

What defines BRABUS - Engine? Brakes? Bumpers? Sticker on the back? All of these components fitted together? To me an S55 K8 converted in your local garage is more of a BRABUS then a 2-litre chipped diesel with BRABUS plastic shipped from Bottrop.

Ok I called Brabus on the way home for their take on this discussion which is as follows.

For the example they quoted using a E55 AMG as the reference car.

If the car had a K tuning kit or exhaust or brakes or suspension or any other Individual components it should be referred to as " Mercedes Benz E55 AMG - Tuned by Brabus or with Brabus Tuning".

If the car went back to Brabus at a later date for an Engine Conversion then it should be referred to as " Mercedes Benz E55 AMG - K8 Engine by Brabus or K8 Engine Conversion by Brabus". The customer can also spec anything else they want changing at the same time as well as the recommnedations from Brabus to cater for the new engine.

If the car came straight From Mercedes went to Brabus and was sold by Brabus as new they would convert to their spec including Engine, Brakes, Exhaust, suspension and whatever they said was the spec at the time. It would simply be referred to as "Brabus K8" Wxxx. There would not be any of the original logos one the car and Brabus have never "Built" a car without Brabus Brakes including branded calipers.

For a car to legitimately carry the Brabus Badge it must have had work done by Brabus in on of the 3 categories above. Simply putting Brabus wheels on your car does not make it a Brabus (exactly the same as AMG) :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom