W202 Buzzing sound from behind interior light

tosborne

Car
E320 CDI Jan'09
I wondered if any one had noticed a slight buzzing sound behind the interior lamp on the W202?

I asked at the dealership today and there is in fact, a small fan behind the lamp which drags air over a temperature sensor. The fan runs when the key is in the "2" position.

Mine was making a droning noise (you can notice it if you switch the fan off with the ignition on), cost of a replacement, £47! :rolleyes:

Simon

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 Proper gearbox
I’m amazed to hear there’s a little fan up there! What year is your car?

For your information I’ve had a listen to mine and it’s quiet.

Just turn the radio up a bit:)

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
I have heard about this fan before but have not noticed mine making a noise.:cool:

Test it with a small piece of tissue paper, it should stick to the grill if there is a fan in there.

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK55 AMG
It's the climate control "sniffer". I unplugged mine once while messing with the plugs on the back of the dome light and climate control went crazy, it thought the temperature was -35 degrees or something so it decided to blow HOT! ;)

OP
OP
T

tosborne

Car
E320 CDI Jan'09
It's a 1999 model C240. I think this part only exists if there is climate control in the vehicle - either the electronic or manual version (which mine is!)

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Originally posted by tosborne
It's a 1999 model C240. I think this part only exists if there is climate control in the vehicle - either the electronic or manual version (which mine is!)

If you have the manual controls, then it is just aircon, not climate control.

Will

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GL63 AMG / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
I have noticed this on my 1996 C200 Esprit Manual.
It has no air-conditioning or climate control. As far as I am aware, it is just a standard heater. When I first bought the car I noticed it, and then I forgot about it and it seemed to go away. Then a few weeks ago it occurred again - normally when you first get into the car.
What would this fan/sensor be for if I dont have air-con or climate? and why (apart from obviously being a good high central point) would the put a temperature sensor next to a light bulb???
Cheers
Will

smiff

Car
C200
Buzzing Sound.

I know this one well!
It is the interior temperature sensor, and I have one on mine even though it is non A/C.
It's the bearings in the tiny fan that sucks air in to sense temperature.
Sorry - no idea how to replace it, but I know I had to wait weeks for one to be delivered from Germany, and still pay £17 for the privilege.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom