W202 c-class build quality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kusanku

Car
A180cdi Avant Garde
I've been considering a 202 C220cdi for ages now. For the kind of driving I currently do, it seems like the ideal choice, as my fuel consumption is currently a big problem. However, several people have advised me that there have been problems with reliability and build quality on this model, and also that they are very prone to rust. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Would I be better going for an e-class, or even a non-merc?
Simon

Originally posted by GDC200

They must be fully serviced. C220cdi is a good engine, prime for chipping! If fuel consumption is everything then go elsewhere coz they are big, strong heavy, fast(ish) cars and as such you aint going to see 50mpg!!!!.

Well , the 220CDI should return 40's easilly.:bannana:

Echo the above comments - I've done well over 100k in W202's and think they are superb motors!

The only area I have personally seen issues with rust is around the bootlock - can get bubbles after just 3 years or so on some cars.

Whilst I have had a few minor probs with my C Classes, they were really just glitches, and they never actually stopped me driving the car - I just didn't know how much petrol I had left, etc... In honestly, I believe just about all makes and models of cars ever built have some reliability issues, however I would certainly not classify the W202 as 'unreliable' - quite the opposite, in fact!

A c220cdi IS capable of 50 MPG,i got that figure several times.

Thanks very much for the replies. I've decided to go ahead and buy one.
Simon

Originally posted by GDC200
W202s are the last of the over engineered Mercedes.

Hmm not sure about that. I had one shortly after they came out and the build quality was crap with loads of returns to the dealer. Gave up and got rid after 6 months with everyone saying " the 190s were the last over engineered Mercedes" :(

Cheers
Andy

Originally posted by Aswall
Hmm not sure about that. I had one shortly after they came out and the build quality was crap with loads of returns to the dealer. Gave up and got rid after 6 months with everyone saying " the 190s were the last over engineered Mercedes" :(

Cheers
Andy

LOL, I've heard that phrase said about a few different models on this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom