W202 C Class Ignition Barrel replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

design guru

Car
2001 W220 Mercedes S320cdi & 2001 W208 CLK230K (SORN since 2008)
My cousin is stuck in London as he can't get his car to start. He needs a solution for the problem below. He has basic recovery which was given free with a certain bank account upgrade. The Green Flag repairman said the ignition barrel needs replacing.

Spoken to a local garage who said the can only replace the barrel if its in their garage. The problem is the car can't be towed because its stuck in park. Can the gear be changed to neutral so the car can be towed. At present the Recovery and the garage are saying the car needs to be lifted at a cost of £150-200.

The car was parked up and when he went to start it the key turned to the first position but after that it just spun when he tried to click into position 2 so the car can't be started. Its a flip out key model, not the electronic key.

If there is no way then he will join a different recovery and get the full package and get them to move it. His current recovery does not allow him to upgrade because he already called them out.

If its the older style flip out key, it will still be electronic and require batteries. I don't know of a flip out key by MB that doesn't.
Did the Greenflag guy actually check the batteries? or just make a random assumption. It could be key or transponder. Star machine will eliminate the question.

If its the older style flip out key, it will still be electronic and require batteries. I don't know of a flip out key by MB that doesn't.
Did the Greenflag guy actually check the batteries? or just make a random assumption. It could be key or transponder. Star machine will eliminate the question.

Can't tow it away without getting the gear into neutral. Can't get the gear to move from park. Otherwise it needs to be lifted which is going to cost as the basic recovery does not cover the cost to get it to a garage

Look in the manual. On the 211 there is a slot behind the gearlever that you introduce a pencil or similar to and the lever is unlocked. Possibly the C is the same or similar. Dont actually know...just a suggestion. :dk:

Can't tow it away without getting the gear into neutral. Can't get the gear to move from park. Otherwise it needs to be lifted which is going to cost as the basic recovery does not cover the cost to get it to a garage
try

Attachments

• egs52ewm_1.jpg
    egs52ewm_1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 61
Not very helpful, but I seem to remember the AA putting a clause saying that you couldn't call them out within 48 hours of joining them (or something on those lines).

Might be worth checking if he's going to join another recovery service to get a tow...

M.

Not very helpful, but I seem to remember the AA putting a clause saying that you couldn't call them out within 48 hours of joining them (or something on those lines).

Might be worth checking if he's going to join another recovery service to get a tow...

M.

The joined the AA or RAC and had a recovery truck called out within the hour and had the car towed to a independent mercedes garage. The strange part was their recovery company called out an independent pickup truck to have the car moved not their own truck.

Even worse was the driver who put the car on to the truck damaged the steering and when they got to the garage they noticed one front wheel was straight and one was turned, but he put his hands up and fair and square and accepted all cost to replace the parts as he agreed it was fine when he was loading the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom