W202 C180 Engine Cutting Out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PunkJr

Car
W211 E280 CDi, W123 230e
Hello all

I am trying to diagnose my son's car remotely. I live about 180km away and he called me today with an issue. If I think I can fix it I will travel down and get him going. Any advice would be appreciated. He rang me the other day and told me that his car stalled at the traffic lights. This may not be related and I put it down to him switching between D and N at the lights and maybe the air con kicking in? Today his car died on him as he was driving. He pushed the car off the road as it would crank but not start. He call the road side service and the car started on arrival. They drove for 20 minutes and the car cut out again. Here is the report from the RAA:

Engine cut out. Restarted on arrival, followed vehicle and after 20 minutes Engine cut out. Engine cranks but
will not start. Fuel pump operating, pulse at injectors injectors Further investigation required with ignition
system, lost spark. Further investigation required.

My son then had the car towed and it now sits in his driveway. Does anyone have any ideas, perhaps common issues with this model?

Regards
Ty

Last edited:
Crank shaft position sensor ?? You still need the cars fault code diagnostics though

Depending on car age likely to be ignition ECU related-- overheating components---do a Search for PMS IGNITION UNIT they are sealed units= unrepairable---and getting expensive
e.g.. there are variants so buy by part no

Crank shaft position sensor ?? You still need the cars fault code diagnostics though

+1
Typical symptom of cutting out when hot and failing to restart until the engine has cooled down.

Edit..Just seen its a W202.Do they have a CPS?

Thanks guys. My son has told me the RAA mechanical thought that it was heat related also. So ECU or CPS are the likely culprits so I might look at the CPS first. I have Xentry, woiuld this show up in diagnostics?

MUCH DEPENDS ON THE AGE OF THE CAR- Early cars used the PMS ignition unit later ones the HFM SYSTEM. EARLY CARS MAY ALSO SUFFER FROM ENGINE WIRING DEGREDATION

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom