W202 C180 instrument cluster illumination

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weld2go

Car
C180 W202
My 1999 W202 C180 had no illumination for the speedometer. Had the cluster out and replaced the broken bulbs. Now none of the illumination lights work. Any suggestions?

Perhaps instrument cluster or lighting fuse is blown or plug/s on rear of cluster not connected properly or the bulbs have all been dimmed with the dimmer button on left side of instrument cluster.

Ensure ignition is OFF while either instrument cluster plug is disconnected.

There is a lever on each plug that must be engaged properly, see… how to remove a Mercedes gauge cluster..c230 w202 - YouTube

Dec

There should be a fuse chart in the lid of the fuse box under bonnet, driver side, on mine the instrument cluster fuse is 19 and 30, both 10 amp, Red.

Dec

attachment.php

All fuses checked OK. Looks like I'll have to check the wirng for continuity and connections at light switch and on the panel.

Are there illuminations of the window switches/heater dials and dome light switches when lights are turned ON?
The above should illuminate with the cluster when outside light are tuned on.

Dec

Everything else is working/ lighting up. What I have noticed is if I turn on the lights during daylight the dimmer does not work. It only works when it starts to get dark. That would indicate that there is a sensor somewhere but as everthing else lights up even in daylight, it cannot be affecting the cluster illumination.

Any chance a fuse for the cluster was pulled out and then replaced but replaced into a wrong , vacant slot, it can sometimes happen.

Dec

I'll check fuses are in correct location. As the cluster had some illumination before I removed it to change the broken bulbs, I think it is something else such as poor contact of the pins in the plugs.

There are really only 4 bulbs that illuminate the dials, all the other stuff like time clock, mileage, temperature have there own bulbs, is it the case that all illuminations are out or just the dials?

Below is an earlier cluster but quite a similar layout to the later type.

Dec

245040d1245491904t-instrument-cluster-removal-cluster-rear.jpg

Did you found solution? I have same problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom