w202 c180 judder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shallowal1

Car
w202 c180 175k
Hi all this is my first post, got a 98 c180 w202 estate with 175k on it and have a first gear judder ive changed the prop center bearing as that was shot, would it be clutch? ive seen that the crank seal goes and causes clutch judder? wot else could it be??

Quite possibly oil on the clutch causing your judder, if you look directly under the bell-housing do you see drips of oil which might indicate a leaking rear crank seal, oil will get onto the plate and cause a judder on engagement.

Best to live with it until the clutch eventually starts slipping through wear and then do both jobs.

I did a clutch on one of these, not a bad job, even just using a pair of ramps (as i did)

the judder is felt through the car, its there when you pull off in first gear i find that high revs as you pull off helps it to judder less, also there when you change down from third to second also! wheel bearing are fine and track rod ends were changed for mot, engine and box mountings are also good.

the judder is felt through the car, its there when you pull off in first gear i find that high revs as you pull off helps it to judder less, also there when you change down from third to second also! wheel bearing are fine and track rod ends were changed for mot, engine and box mountings are also good.

Defo sounds like clutch to me........might just be worn out or the clutch lining breaking up and not the rear seal leaking.

On 2nd thoughts, might be a job you need to do sooner rather than later.

Ive had a look underneath between engine and box and its dry. so box out job then! ill do job myself anything i should look out for when doing it? also if the seal is not leaking should i change it anyway?

many thanks for you quick responses!

If it is bone dry around/behind the flywheel area then i personally wouldnt change the seal. Nothing difficult about the job, you'll need to move the rear part of the exhaust out of the way but otherwise, a straighforward job.

Use a 3 piece clutch kit and NOT just a new plate only.

Let us know the final result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom