W202 C220 CDI preglow light oddity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jjoe

Car
99 SL280
Hello folks,
Could anyone advise me as to possible cause or advice for odd behaviour of the preglow warning light on my 1999 W202 C220 CDI. I turn on the ignition and on come all the usual console lights including the preglow waring light. After a few seconds the preglow warning light goes out as usual. I start the engine but then it comes again and stays on for about 30 seconds. It doesn't come again and I have not noticed any other oddities.
Fuel consumption appears normal. Any comments gratefully received.
:confused:

This indicates that one, or more, of the glowplugs has failed ....they cost about £12 each....best to renew the complete set.

Be aware that, in some cases, the plugs can shear off when you attempt to remove them resulting in an expensive procedure to remove the remains from the head.

You may still use the car as normal untill you get around to replacing the glowplug(s)

Last edited:
panason1c said:
This indicates that one, or more, of the glowplugs has failed ....they cost about £12 each....best to renew the complete set.

Be aware that, in some cases, the plugs can shear off when you attempt to remove them resulting in an expensive procedure to remove the remains from the head.

You may still use the car as normal untill you get around to replacing the glowplug(s)

Agree

It's not a great issue to sort in a big hurry, Direct Injection engines don't need anywhere near as much pre-heat as an IDI engine, even in a British winter.

Ok chaps thanks for all this.
Sounds like the comments apply as in the Honest John web site http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index.htm on W202's ... "VITAL TO CHECK GLOW PLUGS OF DIESELS. These have a habit of failing, then break when the garage tries to remove them and rectification can cost £4,500." I will try the dealer I bought the car from at the end of April who claimed would give me a 6 month warranty and see if they will do a repair.
Maybe plan B is to look for a nice reliable Honda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom