W202 - C220 Passenger side always higher

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by gurj1979, Aug 24, 2008.

1. gurj1979

gurj1979 New Member

Car:
    C220 Elegance - W202
    I have a W202 - C220 with a problem that I just cant get rid of, and it's affecting the drive.

:confused: The passenger side of the car is always higher than the driver side. I have changed the springs and shocks with some lowering ones, but this made little difference to the passenger side. Driver side is lowered nicely though.

If you look at the car from front or behind, you can clearly see that its sitting at an angle of about 5-10deg.

:crazy: What the hell could the problem be? Could this be related to a bent chassis or something?:confused:

:devil: NOBODY has a good enough answer for me, and mechanics just make me waste money on it by saying "It COULD be xxxx.....but we need to put it on a machine". And the end result is...They done something else to the car, apart from fix the problem, and they show me the bill instead.

The car is not worth the amount of repairs I have had done to it. But I can't stand the problem anymore. I need a solution to it.

2. OP
    OP
    gurj1979

gurj1979 New Member

Car:
    C220 Elegance - W202
    Oh - I forgot to mention that I have also had the wishbones changed last year, but problem has been ongoing for 2years.

3. stevesey

stevesey Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Alfa 156 1.8TS
    Or is the driver side lower? Weight of the driver :D

For reference measure the distance between the centre of the wheel and the wheel arch (on a flat surface) - there are a couple of threads around here with measurements on a number of car 202s (I'll add the links in a mo) useful for comparision.

Did they replace the srping pads at the same time as the springs?

P.S. Passenger front is 5mm higher on mine (indeed lots are out by 5mm on one side)

Edit: here's one thread

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  4. Adam230K

Adam230K Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    German oil burner
  5. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Was it low straight away after fitting the springs, if so check the pads are correct, if not then a spring has gone soft.

The only way to check is to remove the springs and measure/swap them over.

6. kth286

kth286 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E320 Coupe
    gurj

What are the facts ie. how many blips are on the two front spring pads ?

How many blips on the two rear pads ?

At the front turn each wheel outwards and look in from the front of wheel to see the blips on the top rubber pads - use torch.

At the rear you will need to poke head under car or take each wheel off in turn.