W202 C220CDI Stuck In Park, Won't Budge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

420SE

Car
W202 C220 CDi
Hi guys, my issue is that I can't get my W202 out of 'Park'. Before posting I did a general search and one of the ways around this problem as a temp solution, is to press down some sort of switch or button with a screw driver / chop stick / whatever is handy, but that doesn't seem to have solved anything. :(

Here is where I am sticking the screwdriver into: :fail

Can it be the break light switch under the pedal or is it likely to be the small plastic gear selector level / hook thing inside the gear selector assembly that's cracked and disintegrated?

(I found this page over in the US about the plastic gear selector and the stuck in park related issues: http://fixeurotransmission.com/blog/mercedes-benz-shifter-stuck-park-wont-move/ )

80-137565d1219101186_anyone_have_stuck_park_problem_dsc_5898mer_7a6842d4facaa57548502b02c84fa652902ed4d6.jpg

Any ideas on next steps guys? :confused:

Last edited:
More likely to be a brake light switch, weird that you can't get it out of park with the slot by drive though.

I hope it is the brake switch as that is an easy / cheap fix compared to the alternatives!

Do I acquire one from my local stealer or will an OEM jobby from Euro Car Parts do? They have them in stock on their website.

Last edited:
More likely to be a brake light switch, weird that you can't get it out of park with the slot by drive though.

Well yeh, that's what I thought. It is there as a last resort solution and I can't use it. :(

Anyway, I went and got a fresh brake switch from the stealer today for £13.20.

Fitted it and also disconnected the batt for a while. Connected everything back up and while the gear knob moves from park with no issues (tried 3 times), the BAS / ESP light is on permanently. :fail

Prior to replacement, the light would come on and off intermittently.

Any advice on that point?

Reset the ESP by turning the steering wheel from lock to lock.

Thanks guys, I will try this in the morning! Will take her round the block.

Just a quick update for everybody - replacing the brake switch seems to have done the trick, and although the light still comes on once in a while, I am usually able to switch it off by turning the wheels lock to lock.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom