W202 C230K. Remap or Chip change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you know what ecu is exactly in your car John? Model number etc?

For reference years ago (Talking 11 years now) the in thing to stop the hesitation was a relocation of the MAF sensor. All big tuners did it, Kleemann actually did this as part of their £1800 kit. Which I brought at the time :)

MAF relocation - Worth the effort on '98 &'99 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

BFT, I've done the relocation already and it did stop a slight hesitation, thanks anyway.

Update, for those interested.

I had the car in for a remap today with Devil Developments, Littlehampton. Nice guys, down to earth and building some very fast turbo Fords, like 500bhp RS Focus's on pump fuel! Anyway, the remap was carried out and the car was put on the rollers, then we hit a problem. It was leaning out from 5000RPM on, thanks to a worn fuel pump. It did produce 176BHP@ wheels/203BHP @ flywheel at only 4900RPM. When the pump is replaced 220bhp is expected. Also, my ongoing problem of the S/c disengaging at 5000RPM is looking very like being solved we think, as it's more than likely that was caused by the worn F/pump too.

So, overall I'm happy with the projected power increase but more interested in better all round driveability. It's a noticeably quicker car now even if I'm limited to 4900RPM and I'm also happy too that it looks like my S/c issue will be sorted as well.

Last edited:
Yes, it seems it is fingers crossed. I'll get a new pump sorted and then I really know...:D

They manage to read through the port then or put the ecu in boot mode out of interest?

BFT, remapped via the 32 pin connector. That alone took an hour to download the new map.

Dyno figures from yesterday.

213.5bhp/250ft lb @crank - 159.2kW/339Nm
178.3bhp/133kW @wheels.

Sorry can't upload print off's for some reason.

Last edited:
Nice one J! :thumb: You happy with those results? I know you said you were hoping/expecting 220 with the new fuel pump, but can't be too disappointed with those figures!

Nice one J! :thumb: You happy with those results? I know you said you were hoping/expecting 220 with the new fuel pump, but can't be too disappointed with those figures!

Thanks for asking. Oh, I'm happy enough and very pleased with the torque figures. The guy that runs the dyno, said it was a touch conservative and the calibration was spot on, mind he expected about 220bhp, so I did too. Who knows but I'm happy enough with it touching 180bhp at the wheels. Just delighted he didn't produce a figure of say 240bhp, then I know I'd have wasted my time.

Now, I think I could have seen a bit more power as I have a few minor flat spots and it took four runs to get the figures. For some reason the S/c disengaged twice at 2500-3000rpm on the first two runs, never did that before,my previous issue with it disengaging was at around 5000rpm which seems to be resolved. Stuck the code reader on and got a pending DTC, relating to the o2 sensor? Don't ask, I'm lost as there's a brand new sensor fitted.

Went out today in the car, scanner all hooked up, the pending code cleared and it was perfect, until I hit the motorway and bang the bloody thing disengaged again but no codes. Switch off and switch back on again all is well :crazy:

Last edited:
Hi all been looking every were for a repotable company to gain extra bhp for my w202c230k on a budget any of you guys can point me to good direction cheers

The easiest way to gain bhp on these cars is fit a larger crank pulley or undersize Kompressor pulley. This can give fairly significant gains for a relatively small outlay. There's a link on this thread somewhere, read all the way through and you'll find it, along with other ways people have tried to boost bhp.

Regards.

I probably should have said part of my mods were a larger fuel pump and relocation of MAF

As said before cheapest mod is oversize crank pulley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom