W202 C240 misfire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
W220 S500
hello everyone, just got a w202 last week, regretted selling my previous c230k so was happy to have a w202 again, now this thing has started to suffer from misfires, especially noticeable when waiting at a red light - the car will shake a lot. Sometimes you can notice it while driving along but it’s not as bad as idling. When I pull from the lights it takes a moment to pull away also which I believe is because of the misfire. Before I bought this car it was laid up for 1 year, so I thought it could just be dirty or old fuel, however I have gone through 3 full tanks of new fuel and also tried that redex fuel cleaner (didn’t misfire much - if at all when I had a bottle of it in. The car has also been converted to run on LPG, which is useless because the misfire gets so bad on that that it automatically changes itself back to petrol. I have read a load of threads on w202 misfires and I believe it’s one of the following: spark plugs, ignition coils or ignition leads, anyone know if these v6 engines commonly fail on these parts? What concerns me is as the car wasn’t driven in a year, the battery would have died, if the ecu was remapped to run LPG, could the dead battery have messed with the mapping and thrown everything off? Also on my previous w202 I’ve had a coil pack fail before, it stopped working completely, the misfire I have now does not feel the same, it feels like it’s very hit and miss wether it’ll misfire or not at any given moment, power feels lumpy and inconsistent, if anyone could give me any advice or any pointers or previous experience I would be very grateful!! Thanks guys!

Would be interested to know which spark plugs the car is fitted with. There are 12 of course! NGK recommend using special plugs for engines running on LPG due to the different fuel combustion characteristics. Failure to do so may shorten plug and coil life according to them. Due to costs involved the previous owner may have been tempted to run with standard plugs??
http://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/files/LPG_info.pdf

Would be interested to know which spark plugs the car is fitted with. There are 12 of course! NGK recommend using special plugs for engines running on LPG due to the different fuel combustion characteristics. Failure to do so may shorten plug and coil life according to them. Due to costs involved the previous owner may have been tempted to run with standard plugs??
http://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/files/LPG_info.pdf
That’s a good call, plugs designed for LPG aren’t cheap, and since there’s 2 in each cylinder it’s really not cheap, I’ll have a look at them before replacing any other parts. Any special tools required to remove the spark plugs on these? My previous c230k was piss easy as everything was nice and easily accessible, I can’t imagine this one will be as nice to do, thanks

I believe the ones close to the bulkhead can be tricky without the right tools. If memory serves---there may be certain size u/j + extensions involved on the plug socket drives . Will depend on the model. Some tips from KB.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom