W202 C240 No Heat / Airflow to Feet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The heating / ventilation and cooling works fine in all positions except when you turn the dial to 'feet' position. On the driver's side footwell there is no airflow at all and on the passenger side there is just a tricke of airflow as I say in all other positions face, windshield etc it works fine. I wonder what is causing that?

From your description you have the normal heating controls instead of climate control.

Do you know if your heating control panel has ever been removed from the car? If the control stalks on the back of the unit are not aligned correctly on refitting, they will never turn in the correct orientation to bring in air to the feet.

Hello Dolphin Tech, Not that i know off. Maybe it might be worth removing the control panel and having a fiddle?

Certainly worked for me, in haste I put it back in without matching the dial position to the heater control rod position, and behold, no air to the feet.

You can reach the stalks in the dash by hand, and by studying the motion of the rods on the back of the unit, and twiddling the dash control rods, it will soon become clear how they should orientate.

Reactions: PJH
I guess I'll have to give it a try once I get the car back from the bodyshop at the weekend.

I have an identical problem, heater controls seem to direct air everywhere (correctly) except into the footwells irrespective of where the control knobs were set. I removed the small side vent grills (simple plastic screw type retainer) on both sides and could see the flap assemblies quite clearly and also move them (open and closed) with my finger. On mine I notice no control rod connected to the small spigot on the back of the flap, hence no way of the heater controls moving it., why ????. I can only assume that someone at some time serviced the interior of the heater box and did not re-assemble correctly.
I would be interested in knowing whether the recommended fixes in this thread work for you Silverstarcars.

Note to Dolphin Tech - is it a straight forward procedure to remove heater control panel, any hints would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I removed the heater controls in this thread:

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3339

The little plastic stalks take no part in fan speed or temperature they are only for operating the direction of the airflow, IIRC they are keyed so you can't install the control unit incorrectly.

Shude said:
The little plastic stalks take no part in fan speed or temperature they are only for operating the direction of the airflow, IIRC they are keyed so you can't install the control unit incorrectly.

That's strange, mine aren't keyed, just a square peg in a square hole. Go figure! :confused:

mmm....will have to have a look once the car comes back from the bodyshop at the weekend hopefully.

DolphiN Tech said:
That's strange, mine aren't keyed, just a square peg in a square hole. Go figure! :confused:
In that case I could be wrong ;)

Don't think I'm going to strip the dash to bits tonight to find out! ;)

Be aware that the blowers are farther forward than the pedals, so you would not feel the air blowing out, in the passenger side, on my E300 W210 the blower is very near the buldhead so feet would need to be outstretched

Thanks Dolphin Tech had a fiddle with those control stalk thingys and hey presto I now have air to the feet.........once again Thanks! :)

Had to post a response on my problem also. I removed the facia panel yesterday and found that some prat had done so previously and had removed heater control unit and then replaced connecting only one of the control stalks. Did the job properly myself and everything now works a treat. Many thanks to all for the great advice on this one.

An afterthought - who was this prat, was it a highly trained and expensive MB technician ??? who can you trust these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom