W202 c250td manual or auto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

archie28888

Car
W202 c180
Hey new to this and hsavent owned a Merc (yet) gonna buy a w202 c250 or c220td (94-00) can anyone give me advice on mpg i can expect from the automatic 4 speed compared to the manual? Many thanks:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

Your auto will be a 5 speeder and it will be 40mpg plus.

My personal choice is the auto, cannot be bottomed with my left foot doing stuff anymore. And manually swopping cogs is so yesterday. Would you swop your TV remote and go back to "turning the TV over by hand" :)

I get 30ish mpg on my auto C250TD. It is an indirect injection old school diesel in quite a high state of tune.

It stopped depreciating a decade ago though!

As an ex-W202 auto owner, I cannot understand how anyone can drive a manual W202? Given that the handbrake is a foot operated 'handbrake' I would imagine that it would be unpleasant (if not downright difficult) to handle the car on hill starts.

Still each to their own I suppose.

30mpg with mild driving.

I can also confirm 18" CLK AMG wheels fit..

:p

I enjoy the gear changing though haha I've driven both manual and auto I was told they were 4 speed auto and hard on fuel but I came on here for an owners opinion

Be careful when looking as their is a W202 C250D / C250TD...I think the TD model is from about 96 onwards but not sure...I also think the C250D model may have had the 4 speed auto as you have suggested....

I did own the C250d many years ago....great workhorse, but quite sluggish being non turbo...make sure you get elegance spec with the wood trim:thumb:

I enjoy the gear changing though haha I've driven both manual and auto I was told they were 4 speed auto and hard on fuel but I came on here for an owners opinion

And the auto boxes dont go wrong much, being the same basic box as much bigger and more powerful engines.

Quick web search...shows 5 speed auto from 96' onwards as thought...

W202 Transmissions[edit]

The original W201 "Baby Benz" came standard in Germany with a five-speed manual transmission, automatic transmissions were optional. In the United States automatic transmissions were standard, but individuals had the option of a manual transmission although few chose the option. At the launch of the "official" C-Class, all W202 variants were equipped with a five-speed manual gearbox. The 722.4 four-speed automatic transmission, also called 4G-TRONIC, was available as extra cost (standard on the C 36 AMG), which US dealers chose to mainly offer on sales lots. In 1996 this old transmission - which was on sale since 1981 - was replaced by a five-speed automatic gearbox (aka 722.5 or 5G-TRONIC), which received the manual shifting in 1999 (722.6). In 2000 the T-Model, the only still on sale, was equipped with the G56 6-speed manual transmission.

C 250 Diesel 2.5 20V D OM605I5 113PS (83 kW; 111 hp)
C 250 Turbodiesel 2.5 20V TD OM605I5 150PS (110 kW; 148 hp)

Be careful when looking as their is a W202 C250D / C250TD...I think the TD model is from about 96 onwards but not sure...I also think the C250D model may have had the 4 speed auto as you have suggested....

I did own the C250d many years ago....great workhorse, but quite sluggish being non turbo...make sure you get elegance spec with the wood trim:thumb:

Last edited:
As an ex-W202 auto owner, I cannot understand how anyone can drive a manual W202? Given that the handbrake is a foot operated 'handbrake' I would imagine that it would be unpleasant (if not downright difficult) to handle the car on hill starts.

Mine was a manual. My wife found it a bit tricky at first but practice makes perfect.

I have a 250TD S202 and it does 40 to 45mpg on any journey and I dont drive it slowly.

Why? You release the parking brake from the dash. Find the biting point then
pull the handle and drive away.

I had a manual E250D , W124 , which returned around 45 mpg .

I thought they were all autos..

Nope, it was an option. I remember ordering my grandmother's one in 1997.

C250TD Elegance 4dr, tourmaline green, leather, autobox, electric sunroof and CD changer, for the princely sum of £31k. I wish I'd kept it now.

I did go for the elegance! However I ended up with a c180 auto. Compleyely different than what I originally planned but with the condition it was in I couldn't say no to it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom