W202 C250TD rear brakes sticking on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seank791

Car
W202 C250td
Hi guys I'm new around here, I've found a fault in my W202 C250TD manual, where the rear brakes are sticking on, now I've already replaced the rear callipers, discs and pads. And the problem had appeared to be fixed, the brake pedal was still slightly spongy but brakes seemed OK after a good pressure bleeding.

Now the fault has appeared again so now I've got my two rear brakes sticking on and starting to heat up, I have however noticed that this fault only ever appears when ever the traction control (ASR) kicks in, when driving in ice or snow etc.

I am aware that pulling the plug off the ABS can disable the ASR and ABS but I'm not really too keen on doing that, can anybody shed any light on this atal? I have no warning lights coming on what so ever.

The car is a 1997 car, facelift and manual gear box, I've tried looking online but can't find anything relative to my fault, maby it's just me tough.

Thanks in advance guys here's a pic or two of the car herself.

I would pull the fuse for the ASR and see if it still does it. If it doesn't I would be looking at a faulty ABS pump possibly. It is a tricky one!

The clue is it only happens when/after the ASR kicks in. A possible sticky valve in the pump??

Yeah I was thinking along the same sort of lines, but would it not give a warning light on the dash if it was the pump at fault?

I'm not certain about the brake hoses as he car is bleeding fluid fine when it's pressure bled?

Hmm no harm in trying it then I'm guessing, I've heard conflicting reports about the ASR is it a fuse that's removed or is it the plug on the ABS pump? Seen people giving conflicting info, if anyone can clarify it would be greatly appreciated.

Guys I'm still struggling to solve this one, have a replacement abs pump to install but haven't had a chance to get at it yet, can anyone direct me to the location of the abs pump fuse?

Ok so I've fitted a new abs pump, and pressure bled the breaking system, now all of a sudden I'm not getting any rear breaking atal and very very poor breaking in general. The system is now completely air free and a full break fluid change was completed in the process of doing this, now I'm completely stumped? Any one anymore ideas before I give in and call the local dealer?

As mentioned above its your rear brake hoses they have collapsed internally I have come across this many many times Change them I bet you it will be fixed

The brake hoses will let you bleed them no problem but the fluid can not return pushing piston out on to pads making them glow
Cheap fix twenty min job with ramp bleeding all four brakes
Making sure she never runs low on fluid in reservoir
Start with further most wheel away ending up doing drivers front wheel last
Yes I know only rear at fault but no harm to put new fluid in all calipers and make sure no air in system

Last edited:
So I've but both rear flexi hoses in and have some new front ones to fit over the weekend as a preventive measure, but my problem seems to be solved so far but I've done very little driving to be certain, due to a drive shaft breaking shortly after fitting the hoses. Regardless thanks for the help and assistance guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom