W202 C280 Crankshaft Sensor renewal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

1nevster

Car
C280, N Reg, W202
Hi all, could someone explain where the cranksensor is on my C280 Straight 6. Its a 1995 N Reg.

Also where can I order a Crankshaft Position sensor online mail order?? Ive been searching the net and only found cheap ebay ones.

Many thanks,

Its right at the back of the engine block an down at the bottom. See if you can stick your hand down there and find it.

Try Eurocar parts or GSF.

Hello, it would be advisable to get the sensor from either a MB Dealer or a Bosch Service Centre, then you know that the quality is assured. I have heard that cheap / eBay ones are not much good, regards Damian. :)

Hello, it would be advisable to get the sensor from either a MB Dealer or a Bosch Service Centre, then you know that the quality is assured. I have heard that cheap / eBay ones are not much good, regards Damian. :)

There is a Bosch parts dealer in Liverpool called CES, I will call them in the morning.

Cheers :)

Just a quick update, fitted a new OVP Relay and fuel pump relay today and this has cured the fault.
However - I have ordered the Crank position sensor (genuine bosch) from CES Liverpool today, and I will be picking it up Monday afternoon and fitting it anyway as a precaution and preventative action.

Last edited:
knowledge is power - you should have done one at a time, because now you do not know which cured the fault.

knowledge is power - you should have done one at a time, because now you do not know which cured the fault.

O yes I do it was the OVP Relay ;) But fitted fuel pump relay when I got back anyway, same reason as Im changing the crank sensor :)

I agree, but Euro and GSF also sell genuine Bosch parts.

What was the problem, and what exactly is the OVP relay doing? Please elaborate!

The car was randomly just cutting out when slowing down, then would start again on key but run rough. Eventually it was cutting out so much it was un driveable. It would always start fine from cold but then 100 yds down rd whilst driving the engine would simply stall.

Replaced wirring loom and also replaced the OVP relay located near to the ECU in the engine compartment.

The OVP is the Over Voltage Protection Relay, which is a rectangular alluminium "can" about 3 to 4 inches long with a rectangular wirring connector at the base and a 15 amp fuse in the top. I cannot elaborate more as Im new to all this stuff too, and learning as I go.

Where is the OVP relay located?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom