W202 C36 Fog/Driving Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

omegav6i

Car
C43
Hi, i recently had a c36 amg bumper fitted and was just wondering if its possible to wire in the bumper driving lights, they both come with the the wire with a little plug type thing on the end. Mine is a pre facelift elegance.

I think the fogs on a 36 are run from a pass-through cable. Unplug your headlamps, plug the fog lamps into the headlamps then plug the headlamp cable into the back of the foglamp plug. That's how the 43 fogs work anyway.

Hi,
I was reading some info on the C36 the other day, and it seems they were fed from two relays fitted behind each headlight, this of course may of been refering to early cars for example, as Shude I have always believed them to be wired the same way as a C43.
Post up a pic of the plug that is on the loom for them, this should tell us either way.
Incidently, the fog/driving lights on the C36 were either fog lights or driving lights never both, I believe the EPC lists two different light fittings for this bumper, "I believe" early vehicles (pre-pre facelifts) were equipped with driving lights, the pre facelift vehicles equipped with fog lights, This I think represents break point in whether relays were fitted.

Incidently, the fog/driving lights on the C36 were either fog lights or driving lights never both, I believe the EPC lists two different light fittings for this bumper, "I believe" early vehicles (pre-pre facelifts) were equipped with driving lights, the pre facelift vehicles equipped with fog lights, This I think represents break point in whether relays were fitted.
A quick read of the EPC reveals this to be true :)

I think the problem with the C36 is that it was only produced for about a year then the 202 facelift happened and some C36s were built as a cross-over. I remember Alps going into some of the oddities of the later-model C36.

"806" 1996 models seem to have driving lamps
"807" 1997 models have fogs

although the lamps themselves are different part numbers, as are the looms I suspect the looms would fit either so you'd need to find out which of the lamp types is fitted to the bumper.

This could be established by providing the VIN of the donor car or reading the part number off the back of the lamps. If you are creative you could try sending 12v into the lamp connector to see which type of lamp it is.

HWA2028200556 - left AMG beam
HWA2028200656 - right AMG beam

HWA2028200156 - left AMG fog
HWA2028200256 - right AMG fog

Interestingly the driving lamp loom has a 140 part number but the fog lamp loom is 202. Driving lamp loom is £22, fog lamp loom is unavailable according to the inchcape site but this isn't gospel.

If it came down to it you could make up your own based on whatever you have available - the pins inside the connector can be moved to different positions.

The 36's were built from approx. 1994, and i think the early ones (possibly pre pre facelift cars was the break point) used the 140 looms with a relay and these were for driving lights.
The 202 looms (like the 43) were for the fog light function in the later cars.
Though in principle I agree with Shude you could swap the pins around in the 202 loom to give the light the function you want, but the loom as it comes from the factory removes the fog light function from the headlight and puts it in the bumper light fitting, with extra pins you can get the headlight function and the bumper light to function together on both sides the fuses in the circuit will not take the extra load, this is certainly true for the fog light function.
Fog lights are fused at 15A (for two lamps) Full load current of 55WX2=110W, 110W/12V=9.16Amps,
Four lamps would be double this 18.3Amps, and this does blow the fuse, I know I have tried.
If the O/P looks at this link it shows the wiring drawing involving installin two relays behind the lights, this should eliminate any load issues.
amg36body bodyelectrical

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom