W202 C36 Pre-Facelift wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, crappy words and pictures.
The colour could be Emerald Black/Green Black metallic (189). My C43 is the same colour and it has a definite blue hue to it, shows on the V5c as Black

Last edited:
Looks a little tired in those pics, but I guess after it had the recommissioning it may be a decent car.

Let’s be honest even three years ago that was a bit of a bargain for someone @ £3100+fees :)

The plate has to be worth £1k give or take?

Being a bit bored this morning after one of the dogs getting me up at stupid o' clock; I was looking at the 2017 auction pics of the C36, it shows the later rounded buttons.
I did a VIN decode, it shows estimated build date of late Sept 95, and option code 806 shows it was for the 1996 model year.

Looking at How Many Left (and not taking it as gospel), at the end of 2018 there were 8 1994 C36's and 50 1995 C36's registered with DVLA (being generous, perhaps 40 were pre-Sept).
More than half of those numbers are on SORN, making any square button C36 AMG a rare(r) beast.

Being a bit bored this morning after one of the dogs getting me up at stupid o' clock; I was looking at the 2017 auction pics of the C36, it shows the later rounded buttons.
I did a VIN decode, it shows estimated build date of late Sept 95, and option code 806 shows it was for the 1996 model year.

Looking at How Many Left (and not taking it as gospel), at the end of 2018 there were 8 1994 C36's and 50 1995 C36's registered with DVLA (being generous, perhaps 40 were pre-Sept).
More than half of those numbers are on SORN, making any square button C36 AMG a rare(r) beast.
Nice work 👍

Let’s be honest even three years ago that was a bit of a bargain for someone @ £3100+fees :)

The plate has to be worth £1k give or take?

A real bargain I’d say even if it needed a few quid spending. Up for £10K now so if it sells close to that then the current owner has done very well indeed

Anyway sorry if it derailed the thread as it seems that one is not old enough for the OP

I think this thread is like the W202 C43 AMG estate thread, it can veer off a little and be better for it.
We fulfilled the requirement of OP, we found the least expensive and most expensive square button C36 AMG currently available.
I don't recall OP saying what their budget is?

Seen
Early square button C36, still has the early one piece AMG boot badge & ginger side repeaters. Nothing scary on the MOT history and priced to leave room to improve.

M359ODA C36 AMG on eBay

View attachment 94798
Seen that one a while ago, will be hoping to see it after lockdown is lifted. High miles but you're right, nothing scary in the MOT history so worth a punt. Given the state of it tho I would be going low and hope since it's a PX I'd get it on the cheap. Can see at least 5k spend I deferred maintenance and some big tickets being spent. Still, at least I'd know stuff is sorted.

OP - Not sure if this one is early enough for you. I do not know enough to tell, but its a 95 car. No interior pics to tell by switch gear. I'm sure others on here would know. MOT history seems odd so I assume the plate has been changed off something else:dk:
Big fan of car and classic but the add is so poor and it honestly for 10k I could pick up a vgc c43, not that id rather one over a C36 but still. There are a couple c43 on car a d classic around that mark with a better provenance and considering this one seems the later interior I might as well entertain them over a sketchy C36. Plus, Wales is a bit of a trek for me. Good shout tho!

Seen

Seen that one a while ago, will be hoping to see it after lockdown is lifted. High miles but you're right, nothing scary in the MOT history so worth a punt. Given the state of it tho I would be going low and hope since it's a PX I'd get it on the cheap. Can see at least 5k spend I deferred maintenance and some big tickets being spent. Still, at least I'd know stuff is sorted.

Looking at the asking prices of C36's over the last 18-24 months, that price is bang on, if not a smidge on the cheap side.
Would be interested to know the approx. build date of that one too. It was registered only a few weeks before mine.
However, it looks to have the very early A/C button on the top switch rail and not with the regular HVAC controls as mine has.

Early square button C36, still has the early one piece AMG boot badge & ginger side repeaters. Nothing scary on the MOT history and priced to leave room to improve.

M359ODA C36 AMG on eBay

View attachment 94798

Spotted a C36 coming up for auction at Anglia this weekend, was convinced I had seen it before... but not quite
M339 ODA this time

Spotted a C36 coming up for auction at Anglia this weekend, was convinced I had seen it before... but not quite
M339 ODA this time

Very nice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom