W202 C43 AMG 5.4Ltr.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Notwen

SUPPORTER
Car
C36 AMG, C55 AMG Estate & CLK55 AMG
Ever since I purchased my C36, I have wanted a C43 to join it, fearing I had missed the boat on them, as asking prices were on the up and up. I had been trawling the various for sale sites, happy to settle for a project.
A forum member responded to my post in the Wanted section, he had a C43 that he was thinking of selling.
Some superficial damage down the O/S, bit of corrosion here and there, but the structure was sound, oh and it had a E55 engine that had been fitted by PCS in 2013.
I nearly fell out of my chair! It was a bit more than I had in my budget, but my long term plan had been to go 5.4, so the man maths were done.
It arrived late Friday night, so just a cursory look as we had friends over. A better look on Saturday and I began to do my list of things it will need for it's next MOT.
It drives great, sounds fantastic and I'm smitten.
Looking at some old threads, it looks to have had 3 or more forum members, so would be grateful for any back story information, old pics (good or bad).

Anyway, this thread would be useless without pics...

20190217_124812 by Notwens, on Flickr

20190217_124856 by Notwens, on Flickr

20190217_124831 by Notwens, on Flickr

Upcoming jobs, steering idler and links, new pads, fan coupling, drive belt and idler pulleys and service.
I have a new steering wheel to fit. The double DIN Alpine is goosed, so if I can find a Sport/AMG single DIN bezel, I will go to something retro and original looking.
Plans are to go back to 17" Monoblocs, for that extra Q car look too.

regards
Gareth

Now ...if you just add a supercharger......

Having a run through the pile of invoices that came with the car.
Despite it spending the last 10 years around the South of England, it turns out it was originally supplied by Mercedes Benz of Harrogate, only around 35 miles from me. Ironically, the C36 spent 15 years down south and now resides some 35 miles from where it was originally supplied by Ciceley in Preston.

Don't have enough posts yet to have a proper project thread, so I'll stick updates here for now:

Busy weekend on the C43.
Much to my wife's dismay, a steady stream of parcels have been arriving this week.

First up was the fitting of new steering drag links/handle bar, idler bush and damper.

After a run last week, a check over found the fan coupling was nigh on useless, no overheating but I wanted to change it, the one on the C36 lunched itself a couple of years ago and punctured the rad.

20190223_123146 by Notwens, on Flickr

Changed the plugs, I prefer NGK over Bosch (though I have Bosch in the C36), filter changes to come after my case of Mobil 1 comes (C36 and SLK are due oil changes too).

20190224_093015 by Notwens, on Flickr

The C43 has adjustable column, one of the issues the PO told me about, was it still having a bit of movement fore and aft once "locked", but he supplied me a replacement column. Decided to get cracking on that this afternoon, once all the cowling and wheel was off, it turns out he had purchased the wrong column (looks like the earlier pre facelift column), so I have ordered a later one.

When purchased, the C43 had damage down the O/S, this was mostly buff'able, except the rear door that was stoved in

20190210_170648 by Notwens, on Flickr

I was able to source a door in the correct Green-Black colour, which buys me some time before getting the car painted. As I could not proceed with the column, I got started on the door

20190224_131444 by Notwens, on Flickr

And... done.
20190224_143224 by Notwens, on Flickr

I put the 17" on from the C36 to see if I prefer the stock look, I do. So I am definitely after a set of 17" and then can sell the 18"s

Last edited:
With a later column sourced and fitted along with the brand new wheel that came with the car.

20190303_125105 by Notwens, on Flickr

Time to roughly get the wheels pointing in the same direction. The are my old tubes from my racing days, but the W202 being a bit longer I had to restring them. Will get it done on a proper 4 wheel alignment done after the MOT.

20190303_122147 by Notwens, on Flickr

Tucked up

20190303_150303 by Notwens, on Flickr

Sent off the V5 last week with a covering letter, to get the engine size updated. Looking at the DVLA site they are asking from some thing more official from either the installing garage or an independent Engineer. Will go to plan B if they fire it back to me.

Yesterday, got a late slot at the MOT station, passed with flying colours

20190304_150117 by Notwens, on Flickr

Gave the C43 a run to Oulton Park a few weeks ago.
20190323_100543 by Notwens, on Flickr

I have been collecting console trim pieces as I didn't like the double DIN Alpine unit, preferring the more retro look.

20190414_092735 by Notwens, on Flickr

My plan had been to run stock 17" monoblocs, even sourcing a set ready for refurb'.
Then a set of the replica 18" Aero II split rims came up, the same style that was optional on the W202 C55.
So I went for those and fitted them last Saturday

20190413_123720 by Notwens, on Flickr

20190413_123741 by Notwens, on Flickr

this is becoming a classic, if it isn’t already

Splendid Amg.

I would put a comand 2 unit in the place of the Alpine. It will look correct in the car even though the W202 wasnt offered with it.
find an A163 820 36 89 comand unit and it shouldnt be too hard to fit that.

Nice looking car.

@mattk1 reply, is a perfect segue into my next instalment...
Matt responded to my thread a while ago, as a previous owner of the C43 he kindly sent me some information and images.
Matt also had a full set of OE discs and pads for the C43, that when he sold the car, the new owner did not want to purchase.
Was I interested?, the timing was perfect as the discs fitted, while evenly worn, were getting to minimum thickness, so we did a deal.

Having a few days off over Easter, I got to work
20190427_173536 by Notwens, on Flickr

20190427_163337 by Notwens, on Flickr

Finished off with new brake fluid.
20190427_175051 by Notwens, on Flickr

Along with a service, and slightly overdue fuel filter change

20190427_125358 by Notwens, on Flickr

20190427_122310 by Notwens, on Flickr

Once the oily bits were done, I returned to the interior. In particular, the seats and centre panels (technically silver, but look white) had ingrained dirt.
Took a while with a leather cleaner and textured sponge. Half and half pic

20190414_102115 by Notwens, on Flickr

I would put a comand 2 unit in the place of the Alpine.

Yes I had the Comand unit fitted to my C43, looked great. If you pm your email I have photo's. I can't get to grips with posting photo's on the forum :rolleyes:

In particular, the seats and centre panels (technically silver, but look white) had ingrained dirt.
Took a while with a leather cleaner and textured sponge.

Had a tip from a OCD friend who found a warm diluted solution of Woolite 4 to 1 works wonders cleaning seats :)

Lovely car you have.
Are you going to silverpaint your calips to match your rims?
Brown and rusty calipers looks somehow out of date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom