W202 (C43) fuel sender seals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrewcliffe

Car
C43 AMG
I noticed a small fuel leak on my car, so decided to replace the seals. I did both drain plug seal and fuel sender seals on both sides, on the basis if one seal was failing, the others may be close to failure. There is a sender on both sides, the left hand side has a fuel connection, and both sides have an electrical connection.

This is how I did it.

1) Jack car up, taking precautions to chock the car, and use axle stands rather than rely on a jack.

2) undo the plastic cover which protects the fuel sender. This is held with 3 10mm screws.

3) with an 8mm allen key, undo the drain points, and with a suitable can or bath, collect up any fuel. Fit a new seal and replace.

4) disconnect the fuel hose (one side has a fuel hose, the other doesn't). Has a crimped on hoseclip. Drain anything that comes out into the tank.

5) Use special tool undo fuel tank sender unit. You don't need a special tool, you could wedge something in the nut and lever against it, but it may be much easier with a tool. I have one to hire out. More fuel may spill. Be ready with the tank.

One nut was quite corroded in place, the tank has a steel insert, but the nut is a cast aluminium item and the two had corroded together. The other side was much easier to undo.

6) with nut off, carefully withdraw sender slightly. Seal is tucked up behind the bottom of the sender, tease out and then stretch over the bottom of the sender. Fit a new one making sure it is seated under its receptacle.

7) insert sender, my sender had a notch so it could only go in one way.

8) refit nut, making sure its square and not cross threaded. Torque is 55Nm according to Haynes manual.

9) attach wiring, attach hose and secure with a suitable hoseclip.

10) reattach plastic cover.

11) do other side, then pour drained fuel back in, preferably filtering it first.

12) Wash up and have a celebratory cup of tea, and possibly a biscuit too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom