W202 C43 Planning on changing door handles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobby

Car
1999 C43 AMG
I want to change the handles - I've been convinced (by Shude's howto and Andy & Peter's C43s!

I'm assuming my colour is brilliant Silver -I'll be checking this at home.

I understand I will need

A 208 760 00 70 9744 : rear door handle
A 210 760 12 70 9744 : front door handle
A 210 766 03 56 9744 : rear end piece

ALL X2.

Question to those that have done the mod - was it difficult? and Did you have to get the front handle IR pieces sprayed at a bodyshop?

Hi,

I have completely changed my Brilliant Sliver door handles (744 is the colour code):

feb081.jpg

THIS thread maybe helpful as one of the part numbers had changed since Shude posted the numbers.

I ended up spraying the IR parts myself, not the greatest finish, but it will do :)

Thanks KH. Did you just use a halfords spray paint or similar?

Thanks KH. Did you just use a halfords spray paint or similar?

Yeah, as its a small area it was fine. Knightmare covering the IR sensor though!

Did you chuck your old door handles out then Karl? (no it's a serious question)

I think I still have them lining around somwhere, fancy having a DIY sesson then?

Deffo, I had painted my old cars handles and they lasted about 2 months before chips appeared.

Shude/ KillerHertz,

could you please clarify which parts i should request from MB to follow this mod - Everytime I try I get odd parts at the desk! help!

2x A 208 760 00 70 9744 : front door handle
2x A 208 760 00 70 9744 : rear door handle
2x A 210 766 03 56 9744 : rear end piece

i had mine painted 4 years ago, still like new!

as long as the bodyshop plasticoats them first before spraying, you will get a factory finish!

I havent got a single chip either, they even sprayed the door lock over too.

Well I think, because the handles are used a lot, if they were painted, they would start to flake or chip, so I think ready painted is the way forward. :)

I painted mine myself. Cleaned the handles first with alcohol then primed with a plastic primer. I got some 744 paint from a motor factor which surprisingly was a good colour match. The hardest part was getting the lacquer on without it running. The results are not 100% but passable. There is a cover over the IR bit which is detachable so no need to mask the little square window.

Shude/ KillerHertz,

could you please clarify which parts i should request from MB to follow this mod - Everytime I try I get odd parts at the desk! help!

2x A 208 760 00 70 9744 : front door handle
2x A 208 760 00 70 9744 : rear door handle
2x A 210 766 03 56 9744 : rear end piece
Regardless of part numbers what you are looking for is facelift w210 classic front and rear door handles with rear end pieces, in 744 silver.

What about the cover for the end piece/IR receiver on the 2 front doors?

What about the cover for the end piece/IR receiver on the 2 front doors?
I believe it is only available as a complete unit, which has to be coded to the car and contains a lock on the driver's side. It costs a LOT and requires ID etc plus in a lot of cases when it finally comes down to it they compare the VIN (for coding the items) with the part number for the items and decline on the grounds that they won't fit (which they will).

Better to get them painted separately to a professional standard.

I will have a check tonight as the codes changed from what Shude orignally posted (for the back door)

Hi,
I think one of those pt. no.'s is wrong, I will find out the pt. no.'s which I ordered mine from for you, I should still have the packing/boxes which they came from.

This mod may be my waterloo, can't seem to get the parts guys to get the right stuff in. This time they gave me 4x front handles (I'm assuming there is a difference between front and rears?).

If someone could help with a definitive listing, it'd be much appreciated, as i would like to go back tomorrow (Fri)

Hi sorry for the delay in getting back to you. new job and all that.

I will have a big search though all my things at the weekend as I seem to mis-layed the invoice

Hi sorry for the delay in getting back to you. new job and all that.

Best of luck with it!

They guys at the counter can't progress anything without a part number - they won't search manually 9 perhaps they are not able to.

They know what I'm trying to achieve, but its like something out of Monty Python, they're saying "ask the right question" - without chassis number or part number they have "no idea at all"... seems like these part numbers are a premium bit of knowledge

Hi Bobby,
The pt. no.'s as promised, straight off of the packing,
A 210 760 12 70 9***. Handle
A 208 760 00 70 9***. Handle
A 210 766 03 56 9***. rear handle rear piece x2
Not 100% sure which is front or rear, i "think" the fronts are the 208 items.

Guys - all done, and IR parts sprayed to match. Looks great! Pics to follow, thanks for all your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom