W202 C43 Planning on changing door handles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Guys - all done, and IR parts sprayed to match. Looks great! Pics to follow, thanks for all your help

Well done, they do finish off the car.

Looks great. I'm looking to do this mod as well on my car.

I believe it is only available as a complete unit, which has to be coded to the car and contains a lock on the driver's side. It costs a LOT and requires ID etc plus in a lot of cases when it finally comes down to it they compare the VIN (for coding the items) with the part number for the items and decline on the grounds that they won't fit (which they will).

Better to get them painted separately to a professional standard.

I replaced all my door handles with the W208/W210 colour coded ones a few years ago, and had the IR receiver parts for the front doors sprayed by a reputable bodyshop. The IR parts then had to be resprayed after 18 months or so, as the paint flaked, and now the passenger side has gone again! MUST stop using that power washer...

So decided to have a go at spraying it myself and made a mess of it - then had the bright idea of looking for a W208/W210 one on eBay. Immediately found a complete passenger side handle unit in 744 silver going cheap from a breaker...wanting to resolve the cosmetic aspect and past caring if the receiver didn't work, did the deed...parts arrived today, fitted the IR part and from a brief experiment it appears to work....being clueless electronically, is this to be expected? Since the part is simply a receiver and merely transmits the signal to the sensor which is elsewhere? (although this may contradict part of Shude's comment)

Oh, and I now have a spare factory-painted passenger side front handle A20876000709744, if anyone needs one. There are a couple of small chips on it though, could perhaps be touched in. PM me for more info/photos.

i was planning to do this mod on my car this summer.
i bought a new IR sensor off fleabay.
also i have new door handles in 744 silver.

reading other posts on this thread says, a different IR sensor won't work with my remote, and another bloke says it will work?
what's correct and incorrect about the IR sensor when fitting it to my car?
i don't wanna paint my original IR sensor if the paint flakes off after some time?
what's the best thing to do?

here is a pic of my recently bought IR sensor, it's not coded to my car.

thankx

Last edited:
what's correct and incorrect about the IR sensor when fitting it to my car?

here is a pic of my recently bought IR sensor, it's not coded to my car.

I'd like to know the answer too :confused:
It may make no difference anyway, but - your pic is of the driver's side IR receiver part, whereas the ex-W208 part that I *think* works on my RHD vehicle is the passenger side (with no lock hole).

I got my advice from MBenzNL I think, it was a while ago! If the IR units have been proven to work then happy days! Perhaps we could try a swap? In order to test just try to open or close the window using the lock/unlock buttons on the key while pointing at the IR unit.

Here are the results of my tests this morning:

Test A:
Driver's side handle IR receiver - part is coded to my car, originally standard W202 unsprayed black, but now sprayed in 744 silver by bodyshop;
Passenger side handle IR receiver - removed from car.

Test A Results:
Electronic key unlocks doors from either side of car, up to at least 20 feet away;
Driver's side - all windows can be opened/closed by pointing key at IR receiver from close distance;
Passenger side - no windows can be opened/closed using key.

Test B:
Driver's side handle IR receiver - as for Test A;
Passenger side handle IR receiver - part fitted from a donor W208, factory painted, not coded to my car.

Test B Results:
Identical to Test A.

So, with the donor part fitted, I can continue unlocking/locking the car exactly as I did when both IR handle parts were original. That was my main concern. The IR sensor for that function must be somewhere else in the car. I'm sure someone will know - where's andy27168 when you need him? :D

The door handle IR parts appear to control only the exterior window opening/closing function. I never use that, but it can still be done, as long as one original IR part is present. However, I'd be slightly nervous of replacing both IR receivers with factory painted parts until it can be confirmed that the vehicle locking/unlocking with the electronic key would not be affected.

Hope this may help someone :thumb:.

Guys dont see what the problem is with the sensors it is such an easy mod and to swap them too, even if you dont swap them the will still work with your key, upgraded mine last year for painted handles and removed sensors for painting.

Guys dont see what the problem is with the sensors it is such an easy mod and to swap them too, even if you dont swap them the will still work with your key, upgraded mine last year for painted handles and removed sensors for painting.

So you're saying that a) any W208/W210 end parts with the IR receiver in should work on any other W208/W210, or any facelift W202, and b) in any event you can detach the IR receiver from the main body of the part and re-fit it in a different part?

a) didn't work for me and I haven't tried to do b).

Just seems odd that it's been nearly 7 years since the HOWTO was done and 3+ years since this offshoot thread started, yet no-one has suggested these solutions before (to my knowledge).

Do you know where the IR sensor for the door locking is?

Thanks

Hi,
If the problem is whether the IR part of the front door handles are coded to chassis, just locate the part in the EPC and see if the side note says that the part needs programming with HHT or STAR. If not then happy days.
My own opinion is that they don,t and that items sources from the breakers will be ok.

The sensors are not coded trust me

you're saying I can use my ebaypurchased IR sensor on my car installed with my newbought painted doorhandles?
those IR sensors on both doors will operate with my car's remote/key without any problems?

you're saying I can use my ebaypurchased IR sensor on my car installed with my newbought painted doorhandles?
those IR sensors on both doors will operate with my car's remote/key without any problems?

Yes, that's what he's saying. If it helps, I'll re-test with my own ebay-purchased IR part in the next few days and let you know the result.

Yes, that's what he's saying. If it helps, I'll re-test with my own ebay-purchased IR part in the next few days and let you know the result.

I thought IR sensors from MB partsbin was going to be coded to each car with STAR or somethin'?

try to open/close your windows/sunroof/lock/unlock your doors when you test everything

my car is stored during winter now, its' impossible for me to swap these thingies.

thanx

are there any risks if I install my ebaypurchased IR sensor on my car with colorcoded handles, then parking my car at the supermarket parking lot, then another MB driver with his w202, w208, w210 locks/unlocks his car and this will also affect my new IR sensor to unlock my car since it's not being coded to my car?
stupeed question but you never know if you don't ask.

the sensor only picks up the signal which is sent to the cars Ignition Control Unit, this ECU holds all the information pertinent to your specific car/key combination....

Thats why the sensor can be changed and is not specific to the car.. just like the siren for example.

the sensor only picks up the signal which is sent to the cars Ignition Control Unit, this ECU holds all the information pertinent to your specific car/key combination....

Thats why the sensor can be changed and is not specific to the car.. just like the siren for example.

good to know, it's a simple unproblematic swap between IR sensors.
thankx

had my door handles swapped recently.
damn my car looks hotter than ever. :bannana:

I will post pics when had it washed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom