w202 C43 vs C36

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They come up now and again on eBay, around £100 per set. You may get more luck on eBay.de
They were standard fit on EU (AFAIK) C36's and some C43's, option code 776 "WHEEL COVERING FOR AMG 17-WHEELS (ONLY EXPORT)"
My C43 was supplied new without them in 98, Jon who now owns the ex-MB press C43; R733 JNH (had a couple of MBClub owners too I think) it was also supplied new without them.
For the 17's they don't do anything except hold dirt and moisture, but I understand why if you are running 18's they can protrude on the front.

Hi Notwen, just thought I would mention that I managed to pick up the set on UK Ebay this morning. £80.00 for the set of four in good condition and not far from where I live.

Right - here goes...

I’ve owned three C43’s and one C36 and contrary to the amounts owned, if I had to buy one now for “fun”, it would be a C36 without a moments hesitation (I sold it to Terry Gates who still owns it)

The C43 exhaust sound is awesome and wins that comparison quite easily but every other area, in my opinion, goes to the C36 - the engine (the last of the “proper” AMG’s which were bored out to 3.6 whereas the ‘43 is the lump straight out of the 430 with a 30bhp tune) is an absolute peach and suits the size of the car perfectly, plus, with the variable valve timing, it likes to be revved but still has enough pull to not feel too “light” from lowdown.

The C43 feels very nose-heavy compared to the C36, all three I owned were the same so it wasn’t a one-off, and it really took some controlling if you were driving swiftly on the twisty stuff whereas the C36 felt more responsive and sharper. Also, if you do go for the C36 try both the 4speed and 5speed gearboxes because, again, it alters the feeling of the car - the 5 speed more cultured, the 4 speed with (obviously) longer gearing is more aggression-inducing.

The other big positive of the C43 is you’ve got the choice of estate or saloon whereas the C36 only saloon.

In summary, the C36 is more of a follow on from the 190 Cosworth, the C43 was more about what was to come for AMG’s if the future - shoehorn a wonderful sounding V8 in a car that’s probably too small and point and squirt!

Some old photos:
C43

C36

Both together:

my man Lee knows his cars .
totally agree with you mate.

I dont know if anyone is still interested in this thread any more, but I saw this incorrectly listed C36 last night and thought it looked decent. It's an import but has low miles, and those lovely rear bucket seats too! :D

1995 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG | eBay

Matt, that has been up for sale forever and a day! Nice though ;)

I went to view that car about a month ago. Looks far better in pics than reality imo. Interior is tidy, but needs fair bit if tidying on bodywork. Recently dropped in price as was £9,950 when I viewed. It could be nice car but still couple of £K overpriced imo. Paint needs fair bit if work and wheels need refurb etc... Has some Japanese history, but bit difficult to decipher and I'd like to have seen far more paperwork for its age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom