[SOLVED] w202 c43 Xenon lights

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by DRBC43AMG, Sep 14, 2014.

1. DRBC43AMG

DRBC43AMG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Switzerland, Sion (VS), the canton of mountains, w
    Car:
    99' C43 AMG "T Rex", 00' Renault Twingo1, Ultima Sports Can-Am
    Can someone tell me what the plug is for? My left light (passenger side LHD) has stopped working (blown bulb?) as has been playing up since several months.

Attached Files:

2. Alps

Alps MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E63 Weistec AMG(SOLD), E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
    Leveling motor?

3. gurpz

gurpz Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    Mercedes C230K Sport
    Yup that plug is for the levelling motor. Try swapping the Xenon bulbs from each headlight to see if its a bulb or ballast/ignitor issue.

4. OP
    OP
    DRBC43AMG

Car:
    Thanks. Douh I didn't think of swaping sides to see. I'll check tomorrow and come back with the test results.

5. OP
    OP
    DRBC43AMG

Car:
    OK swapped bulbs and the dead bulb is alive on the other side. So I guess that the ballast/igniter is in the books to be changed. Is this an expensive part to buy?

6. andy27168

andy27168 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1997 C230K, 1999 C43/55 AMG
    Hi,
    There are two other items which can fail, ignitor which is in the headlight, and the ballast, I would now swap the ballasts from one side to the other. The ballast unit for the left hand side is behind the left side front wheel arch lining, and plugs directly into the back of the headlight, pic below of the ballast in position in left side wheel arch, the ballast is the item with the yellow label on it.
    [​IMG]

The right hand ballast is fitted to the chassis rail under the headlight, pic below, again the ballast in this pic has the yellow label on it.
    [​IMG]

The ballasts are the same unit except they have different brackets on them, and they simply plug in the back of the headlight.
    Pic below shows the ballasts with the different brackets on them.
    [​IMG]

7. OP
    OP
    DRBC43AMG

Car:
    Thanks for the tip. I'll continue with some testing to pin point the faulty part.

8. Alps

Alps MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E63 Weistec AMG(SOLD), E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
    early audi TT ballasts are also the same but with a slightly shorter wire, i had audi balasts when i converted my c36 to c43 xenon headlight clusters

9. gurpz

gurpz Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    Mercedes C230K Sport
    This is true but IIRC the wire pin outs are in a different order so check this. In actual fact though you can actually even swap the ballasts themselves over with your existing wires only 3 screws hold it in place to the harness and metal bracket as shown in the pictures Andy has attached. Early BMW and a few VAG group cars use the same ballast but with different brackets and wire configurations.

10. andy27168

Car:
    As far as I am aware the ballasts for the 202 are also the same as S class and SLK, except that those cars do not have the cable assembly. But all you have to do is remove your bracket off of your broken ballast, unplug the loom, and refit it to the new ballast.
    Check out this link, and from comparing my pic and the pic in the ebay auction you can see that they are the same. Also by doing a search on E-bay using the Bosch pt. no. you can see in my pic, it comes up with this,
    AL BOSCH Xenon Ballast Mercedes S-Class Coupe C215 W215 SLK R170 1307329023 39 u | eBay

11. OP
    OP
    DRBC43AMG

Car:
    Top stuff Andy. Thanks!
    By the way and I haven't checked yet but will do so tomorrow, but should this problem throw an error code in the electronics which could be read with the appropriate scanner?

12. andy27168

Car:
    It might throw up a code to say the light isn't working but it wouldn't be anymore specific, you would still need to go through replacing/swapping parts around.
    I found a source of new bits, and info in the link below
    Mercedes-Benz C-Class W202 C36 C43 C55 AMG Headlight Fault HID Ballast Bulb Ignitor Replaced
    Please keep in mind the ballast units MB Pt. No.'s are different only because of the brackets being different between the left and right, and the cable loom. The Bosch Pt. No. is the number for the ballast without bracket and wiring loom, but as I have said you can remove your bracket and loom and fit to the new ballast.

13. OP
    OP
    DRBC43AMG

Car:
    I double checked and have now concluded that the bulb is indeed dead. In fact it was rattling a bit at the base and finally the tube broke when I manipulated the thing. I swapped the good bulb and both sides work. I'll be ordering a new bulb, or probably will get two so to install new ones on both sides.

I did read the error codes and found none pertaining to the xenon light. However, I did find the following:
    P0100 Powertrain - Mass or volume air flow sensor (MAF I assume....)
    P0500 Powertrain - Vehicle speed sensor
    P0150 Powertrain - O2 sensor circuit, bank2 sensor1

I have been feeling the engine hesitating a second or two when accelerating from slow speed. Other than that, everything seems to work perfectly. I will try cancelling the codes, drive around a bit before checking again.

Any other ideas?

14. OP
    OP
    DRBC43AMG

Car:
    A quick update...
    I ordered and changed my MAF with a new Bosch unit and installed the new xenon bulbs (Osram Cool Intense) to both sides and reconnected the stray levelling plug. Before going out for a drive I also cleared the error codes. After having driven around for a little while, I came back and checked the error codes. None registered in the ECU so I'm now happy. Also very happy to say that with the new MAF she now pulls like an express train :rock:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014