W202 C55 Rolling road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackC55

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
E55K SL500 E250X2 Smart44 Brabus Track car E450Cabriolet X350 Pick up
This is a graph of Jacks C55 (C43) on the rollers.

298 at the wheels.

466f2c34.jpg

I will post up a vid If I can work out how to do it.

looking good make a youtube clip then post it as attachment

Why is that ambulance loaded with tyres lol

Sorry to sound dull Olly but what's that on the road??

Im having mine done in a few weeks, be interesting to see what the results are.

It's 292 at the wheels Dash, which is after transmission and other power loss to the wheels. To calculate engine bhp (ie before loss) there are various formulae used - all of which have a large fudge factor as they are general rather than specific to the car and needless to say those used by mappers can move the engine bhp enormously.

But mid 300 engine bhp would not be out of the question.

I know I'm going to be flamed, but it would have been interesting to have some on the road timings both before and after the engine swap.
Even some 1/4 mile times would be interesting, and that's easy to do....flat road, drive for 1 minute at 15mph or 30s at 30mph...1/4 mile.

ollys car puts down 294.4 bhp at the wheels in a mercedes enthusiast article earlier this year using c/f box remap and decat on an otherwise standard engine , did not the bmc filters fitted then.

jacks does 298.7 bhp at the wheels with a 55 thrown in, not much difference
really, unless jack goes down the same route then it will be a different story, i am assuming jacks car has no mods other than a larger c.c. engine at the time of the rolling road test.

Is Jacks car still running on the standard C43 ECU, if so it will be running out of fuelling to produce more power.

The thing is Jacks car kills mine on acceleration and top end. There is no comparison. The 55 lump is very much quicker in real life.

Is Jacks car still running on the standard C43 ECU, if so it will be running out of fuelling to produce more power.

It self adapts though Will.

At high RPM there is a slight drop off in power compared to mine. The is a significant step down on the graph.

I know I'm going to be flamed, but it would have been interesting to have some on the road timings both before and after the engine swap.
Even some 1/4 mile times would be interesting, and that's easy to do....flat road, drive for 1 minute at 15mph or 30s at 30mph...1/4 mile.
This is our next step. Real life differences.

This is our next step. Real life differences.

Cool.
1/4 mile is about 407 metres if you need to measure it.

As for a standing start, just ask the Police to hold the traffic up on the A3 for a while..;)

It self adapts though Will.

At high RPM there is a slight drop off in power compared to mine. The is a significant step down on the graph.

I guess it should just using the MAF and lambda as reference.

It's 292 at the wheels Dash, which is after transmission and other power loss to the wheels. To calculate engine bhp (ie before loss) there are various formulae used - all of which have a large fudge factor as they are general rather than specific to the car and needless to say those used by mappers can move the engine bhp enormously.

But mid 300 engine bhp would not be out of the question.

Agreed. I had my C32 on a chassis dyno a few years ago at Awesome GTi in Irlam (Manchester), and it yielded a similar 296 rwhp (at the wheels). It would have only been a few years old at the time, and so relatively healthy.

I wasn't interested in the flywheel figure per se, but I was intrigued regarding the likely transmission loss on an automatic.

It was a "shoot out" session, and the organiser of the event (not Awesome GTi themselves) used the following to approximate flywheel power for RWD cars - add 10 bhp to the wheel figure and divide the result by 0.88 - which at 296 rwhp works out at 348 bhp at the crank. Remarkably close to the published figure of 349 bhp.

In the past I have used 18% transmission loss as a rule of thumb for manuals, and I would expect a little more on an auto, so maybe 20% - this works out between 361 and 370 bhp at the crank.

Taking this range of estimated crank figures into account I think 296 rwhp is probably about right for my car at that time, and "ball park" right for an N/A 55 engine.

As they say No Replacement For Displacement ;)

Unless you fit a supercharger you will not come near him in real life, no matter what the dyno says!

Olly,
Is Jacks Car using the 55 Throttle body or the original 43 item?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom