W202 CDI shuts off --intermitent--

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vorkat

Car
S202 Esprit '98
Hi people,
I've been around for some time, but know I feel I may need your help to diagnose an issue with my car.

Car: W202 220CDI 1998

It's intermittent, so i doesn't happen all the time.
Cold weather or hot weather doesn't make a difference.
Cold engine or hot engine, no difference.
After closing the doors a couple of times, insert key, turn over, engine starts fine.

So what happens is that it shuts off while running.
When that happens, first I see the EPC light and then all the lights light up.
When it happens the key turns, but the engine won't start.
On the last occasion, despite the key lighting up the LED the doors where not closing / opening like they're supposed to when the buttons are pressed.
In the most recent episode, I noticed that the steering lock was not doing it's thing, as when I removed the key several times, the steering lock was not working as it wasn't making the normal sound (you could hear something was trying to do something, but still wasn't working). after inserting the key a couple of times, the car started, drove 50m to a parking spot, turned off the engine, removed the key (the lock worked this time), closed the doors a couple times as I was told that this procedure clears minor erros in the ECU (the doors worked this time). went to start the car, car started, drove home.

Sorry for the long post, but I feel that if someone can help me, those details might be important.

Thanks for reading, and I would love your input!

What's the battery's condition? The symptoms above are classic signs of low voltage.

thanks for the reply.
It shows 17V on the multimeter.
any thoughts?

Could be low voltage as suggested or a dodgy ignition switched supply. You should not have 17 volts on your system- if that reading is correct ??? your alternator voltage regulator is faulty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom