W202 changing springs, use compressor or get mechanic to do it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JimC200

Car
2004 w211 estate 2.2 cdi manual, 177k mls
As title really, I'm swapping out my springs front and rear on my w202 and just wondering if it's handy enough I'll get some compressors and have a go myself, unless it's a nightmare of course, anybody ever done it?

If you know what you are doing, or have done it before, it will be straight forward. If you haven't any experience it can be VERY dangerous. Do it with someone looking over your shoulder to advise, the first time.

Ive done a good bit of engine work before and have no issues swapping out and doing clutch changes (on certain cars) but I've never messed with suspension just wondering if I need to be balancing arms on jacks etc while working on other stuff

Be aware that you need a top quality compressor to squeeze Mercedes springs. They exert far more force than many other makes, and you don't want to be in the same room if one breaks loose.

If you do decide to go for it make sure you use the MB spring compressor tools

If you know what you are doing, or have done it before, it will be straight forward. If you haven't any experience it can be VERY dangerous. Do it with someone looking over your shoulder to advise, the first time.

Indeed, done that on an Astra front struts many years ago, under supervision of someone who's done it before... not rocket science but as you say potentially dangerous.

And large mounted vice to keep the thing in will help, through use some cloth or rubber to prevent the vice from scratching or distorting the metal.

Also, you would want to ensure that you have all the relevant suspension torque figures required to put it back, and torque wrenches to cover the range. Sadly, not everyone, including some professional mechanics, use torque wrenches in suspension components...

You don't need a compressor for the rears.

There is a link here somewhere that shows you what is required...I think Dieselman originally posted it.

Without using a comressor, the process involves, jacking up the car, supporting the arm with a jack, removing the arm mounting bolt and slowly releasing the jack so the spring decompresses and you can remove it.

You also need to unbolt the bottom shock absorber bolt.

Reinstallation is reversal of the process.

You also need to unbolt the bottom shock absorber bolt.

Unbolt the inner control arm bolt and leave the damper connected, you can just pull the arm down.
Doing it that way and using ramps, you don't even to take the wheels off.

The fronts are a major challenge without the proper compressor due to poor access for any external type compressor.

At least the link and photo shows the right kind of spring compressor to use. It is child's play to remove spings with this tool and safe too :thumb:

This is a 190 but it is the same set up as a 202.

[YOUTUBE]ANK6-eaaG00[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom