W202 Climate Control

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grenachenoir

Car
W124 300CE
My 1998 C280 has the full climate control system fitted. It was great in the summer - kept everything nice and cool. But, in the winter it seems to struggle to keep the car demisted. Also, the fan speed even when on manual and full speed seems very low - a gentle "waft" of air rather than a blast!

Using the "HI" setting (pressing the windscreen button) helps clear things but the the car gets too hot. I really want 23 degrees and no humidity/screen fogging - am I asking too much of it??

Is there something wrong with it or do others have the same problem? Any suggestions for best settings or other solutions?

suppose the cheapest thing is to change the pollen filter , athough it might be an activated charcoal filter since its climate control ..

Pollen filter is 15 or so , the charcoal filter requires a bankloan.

Nick should be able to help on which one it is.

Thanks for the advice Fuzzer - just one thing - any idea where i find the filter? Sounds like a likely culprit but I don't know where to look! Pics would be great if you have them.

The filter is in the passenger footwell.

On the bottom of the dash in the footwell there is a plastic pannel with round holes in it. there is about three screws in it and it just pulls down.

In there over by the left hand side there is a compartment with two slide clips on it . Move them to the outside and the plastic cover slides off. Out comes the filter.

stick the new one in .. bobs ur auntie.

The reason i throught of this is there is also a drain thats connected to the heater system that gets blocked and allows water into the filert and the fan area. If the filter gets moist it will besically never get dried.

To check the drain open the bonnet and over in the top right hand corner on the passenger side at the bottom of the filter box there is a drain with a rubber flap on it. stick ur finger up and you should be able to feel a block or you can take the whole black intake off on the pass side if your keen. A quick test is when your washing the car , if you aim a little water into there , you should see a small stream of water flowing down onto the ground from the engine compartment.

Hope that helps.... :bannana: :bannana:

Fuzzer, excellent instructions - thanks. I took out the filter - it was dry and a bit dirty but seemed OK. Tried the fan without the filter inplace to see if it ran better but no difference. Is this beginning to sound expensive to you? Could the fan itself be shot? Is it easy to replace?

Feeling very frustrated today and thinking i might face a big bill. Last ditch effort, i changed all of the fuses even though none appeared to be blown. Hey presto, fan is blowing again! I have learnt a lesson today - don't trust the fuses!

Well, that fix lasted a long time! Went out this morning and no fan again. Bugger! I guess the motor is going to have to come out to have a look-see - maybe it's just a crappy connection somewhere - heres's hoping!

By the way, I thought I'd get a Haynes Manual to help with things like this but Halfords tell me they haven't done one for the 6-cylinder cars. Is this true or are Halfords telling me what they think they know - as usual! If there is no Haynes, is there an alternative manula avilable at a sensible price? Or should I buy the one for the 4-cyl as most things I would do are more electrical and interior related rather than engine anyway - are they similar enough?

Originally posted by grenachenoir
...should I buy the one for the 4-cyl as most things I would do are more electrical and interior related rather than engine anyway - are they similar enough?

Except for the engine, yes. I bought a Haynes, the kompressor model isn't supported either :(

Dropped the motor out of the dash today and found that it is sticking - i.e. power getting to it but it doesn't have enough torque to get going. Guess this is shot bearings. Can't open the motor to see so i have sprayed WD40 around liberally - seems to have solved it for now but I think a new motor will be on order soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom