w202, cluster, pulling tool.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenjohn1010

Car
c180 w202
Has any one a spare pulling tool to remove the instroment guages.Part No w140 589 02 3300?

Just make some out of cut off wire coat hangers.

I've not but if you have an extra few mins it's better to drop the lower dash panel and push the cluster out from behind.

I used the factory tools and broke a large chunk off the cluster from my old 202 :(

Recently had to do the same to my 202 dash, definitely better to remove the lower panel first and then use your hand behind the dial panel to help to push it out towards the steering wheel. If you use the bent coathanger method, be careful not to scratch the surround binnacle. I also trimmed two of the rubber grippers that help to hold the panel in place after completing the light repair so that it will make the dash easier to remove if I have to do any other work in the same area.:bannana:

I've not but if you have an extra few mins it's better to drop the lower dash panel and push the cluster out from behind.

I used the factory tools and broke a large chunk off the cluster from my old 202 :(

safest way by far the only way i do it

Another way of doing it is to remove the right hand side air vent and push from behind.Thin long hands/arms will help though. :thumb:

I've done this recently and i have the easiest way ever.

You do NOT need to remove the steering wheel.

Remove the right hand air vent. Then the speaker above it. Make sure the steering wheel is straight and then push from behind. You have to give it some force and it comes out right hand side first but it does work.

And i have chunky arms ;)

I used the coathanger method on my old W202 without problem.

The thinner hanger wire fits better than the heavier stuff. Bend the end at a right angle then cut it to about 3 mm. Slip them into the gap between cluster and fascia, twist to engage the slots then pull each side alternately a small amount at a time.

It takes longer to write about than to actually do it.

The trick seems to be to insert the wires low down. I didn't and, like Shude, took out a chunk of the fascia. The superglue repair is difficult to spot but I'll always know it's there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom