W202 COMAND Install - Phase 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sym

MB Enthusiast
Car
W204 C220CDI Sport
Well, I've spent the last week or so slowly installing COMAND, and trying to get it to look good.

Thanks go to :-

Steve MBenzNL for supplying the thing

Shude for his HOWTO, and lots of bright ideas

Fuzzer for more bright ideas

Graham for teasing me about it not fitting properly ;)

and www.foliatec.de for making excellent dark walnut film which matches the rest of my dash perfectly.

Anyway - the only bit you can't see ... GPS Antenna hidden in lining of top of the instrument/speedo cluster surround - picks up 8 satellites nicely.

Getting dark outside, and the Flash was spoiling things and I had to turn it off, so sorry for the poor quality piccies . . I will post some better ones when phase 2 (cd changer), phase 3 (comand 6310i phone kit), and phase 4 (TV Tuner / AV Interface) have been installed . . sometime soon.

comand1-640.jpg

comand2-640.jpg

...and this last one proves that my camera is at least quicker than COMAND . . . I was trying to get a shot of Steve's amended opening screen, and then it changed . . so I got both !

comand3-640.jpg

"Do not become distracted by using COMAND . . . "

... That's going to be tough - they can't be serious !! ;)

:D

Last edited:
Nice one.

Looking good now you have lost the inspector gadget look.

Need some decent close ups though. Been taking photography lessons from Philsy2k?

Last edited:
Originally posted by GrahamC230K
Been taking photography lessons from Philsy2k?

I know - they are dreadful pics, aren't they - the last one especially ! It does look much better in real life.

Better piccies soon - Its just that I would never dream of using photoshop to muck about with an image you see - I like the real thing :D

comand-shopped.jpg

. . . honest ! ;)

Excellent work! I'm glad the Foliatec walnut film matches the rest of the interior, makes for the cleanest install ever, my install looks shabby in comparison now! :(

Originally posted by sym
"Do not become distracted by using COMAND . . . "

... That's going to be tough - they can't be serious !! ;)

:D

And they invented brake assist because :D :bannana: :p

Originally posted by GDC200
Well done, how easy is this foliatec stuff to use and good does it feel? loads of close photos reqd I think!

Its easy enough to use.

However . . . . £25 will buy only enough to cut one piece large enough to cover the entire dash panel . . . so no room for errors - It tears very easily if you're not careful with the mini-stanley knife supplied.

The finish is shiny - similar to the wood panel, but nowhere near as hardwearing obviously, so it shows littlescratches and marks more easily.

I'm 80% happy with it - certainly looks better than two pieces of wood with a gap !

Will post some close up piccies once I have tidied it up a bit . . . might even give the whole thing a coat of spray lacquer or something to cover any imperfections.

S.

easy enough to cut into a circle - stick over holes first and then cut around from the inside with the knife . . . then cover edges with chrome heater rings to hide any messyness. . . . bit more difficult with the temp controls and centre buttons . . I'm not quite happy with that yet . . and then the top buttons / switches are fine as they have a flat cut out, rather than bevelled edge, so easy to get it clean.

The instructions say that if you heat it up it will bend around contours etc. . . but I didn't bother. I'm sure a decent craftsperson could do a better job with it than me !

S.

Lookin' good...

You should take some photography lessons though ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom