w202 conks out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abbos

Car
W202 + W115
Evening,

For the last 2 days my w202 has been running a little like a bag of poop. It starts a little rough in the morning but when it gets warmed up it's ok.

However, driving locally seems ok but if I drive down the M4 for about 30 mins into London, when I get to a set of lights of start to slow down to a stop from say 70mph, instead of idling it stutters and then dies. It will restart fine afterwards.

When it starts to splutter if I stamp on the gas it will respond like an old fart unless I hit the kickdown and then it's ok and won't die but then the next set of lights and we play the same game.

Any idea's as sometimes it is getting scary!

Air leak into the manifold would be my best guess given your description, or MAF failure if it has one.

This was exactly what mine was doing in the summer ....

Wiggled all the air lines , took off the air filter and wiggled all the connections and it stopped doing it ....

Mine doesn't have a MAF though ....

So, as it's sorted i guess it was an air leak ...

Good luck

abbos said:
Evening,

For the last 2 days my w202 has been running a little like a bag of poop. It starts a little rough in the morning but when it gets warmed up it's ok.

However, driving locally seems ok but if I drive down the M4 for about 30 mins into London, when I get to a set of lights of start to slow down to a stop from say 70mph, instead of idling it stutters and then dies. It will restart fine afterwards.

When it starts to splutter if I stamp on the gas it will respond like an old fart unless I hit the kickdown and then it's ok and won't die but then the next set of lights and we play the same game.

Any idea's as sometimes it is getting scary!

Exactly the sam ething happened to my 1997 C180 Sport Auto, It was the Maff Sensor mate, but however I did read somwhere on this forum that a Maff Sensor can be cleaned. So might be worth a try mate... check it out befor you for out an arm and a leg at the stealers..

Bhav

FWIW, my MAF was acting like it was dying and I tried cleaning it to no avail. Recently while the car was in the shop, they found that there was a leak in one of the vacuum lines (one going to the supercharger). That leak was throwing things off and the MAF was at it limits trying to get the engine to adjust for the air leak.

mchips said:
FWIW, my MAF was acting like it was dying and I tried cleaning it to no avail. Recently while the car was in the shop, they found that there was a leak in one of the vacuum lines (one going to the supercharger). That leak was throwing things off and the MAF was at it limits trying to get the engine to adjust for the air leak.

Vaccuum line to the supercharger?

I didn't have time to talk about the specifics with the tech but the repair bill states, "Replace vacuum line from supercharger to intake press. sensor." They also found another leak at the "intercooler boot."

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I checked today and it seems that one end of the small hose that runs from the top of the engine to the pipe that comes into the MAF had popped off at the MAF end. Could this be the cause?

Sorry to wake up an old thread but the problem has come back to haunt me!

It was ok for a while and then last week the same started to happen again. I left the car for a day or so and just used it today and it happened again on the M40 into London!

I'm back home, have checked that nothing is loose but one thing I have noticed now is that if I rev the car to say 3000 revs and then let go, a nice cloud of white smoke comes out and it is spraying oil on to the floor!

I guess this isn't good. Can anyone help?

Sounds like you have an oil leak ;)

KHz's tip of the day: Take it to a garage asap

Thanks for confidence boost Karl!! :D

Anyone, apart from "Take it to a garage" because I know that is coming, but any ideas what the heck is going on under the hood?

White smoke? Better check that the oil is free from water and that no bubbles come from the header tank. White smoke is usually associated with a blown head gasket, plus oil everywhere :crazy:

Car went in the garage first thing this morning. They called 2hrs later and said that all seems ok and that the smoke/oil issue was ok too (maybe a temp thing).

It still has the problem of stalling but they cannot replicate the issue in the garage. They are going to try again but apart from driving one of the guys 30 miles and back to prove it, what else can I do?

No fault codes, throttle body housing cleaned, butterfly cleaned. Taken on 2 test drives and no faults found. I can't believe it!

We'll see.....

The car ran fine and without any problems yesterday and I did about 150 miles. The only thing that I can think of was that just before it went into the garage I decided to remove the air filter, give it a clean and put it back in. It has probably only been in there for about 10 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom