W202 Corrosion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maxwell

Car
w202(96) Sold w202 (00) & W203 (06) WO W213 (18)
Got the Quote from an approved merc bodyshop for about 2 grand, But the gentleman said it is rust from inside so mercedes should do it under warranty, but remember no service history Advise please

:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

If you have zero service history then MB will do its upmost to ditch you like a hot potato, then best you can probably hope for will be a good will settlement where MB contribute to the cost of the repair. Good luck! I hope you get a full settlement.

S.

It all depends on the age of the car,whether the rust is at a known weak area, and most importantly whether there has been any prevoiusly repaired accident damage.

Nearly all corrosion claims are being met by goodwill payments and not warranty as the corrosion hasn't actually penetrated right through the panels.

Cars upto eight years old will be looked at.

My 210 corrosion was fixed last year by MB. Mine had no service history and a huge mileage. It was just under 5 years old at the time. You never can tell....

Nick

DrNick said:
My 210 corrosion was fixed last year by MB. Mine had no service history and a huge mileage. It was just under 5 years old at the time. You never can tell....

Nick

Which garage did you get to check out the rust?

Dieselman said:
It all depends on the age of the car,whether the rust is at a known weak area, and most importantly whether there has been any prevoiusly repaired accident damage.

Cars upto eight years old will be looked at.

My april 98 c240 has had a dent repaired and might have modified rear arches as there is not much lip turned in, will this invalidate any claim? I have a bit of rust starting around the bootlid handle number plate light mount.
Where else should I look?

chatteris said:
...Where else should I look?
Peel back and look underneath the rubbers that surround your front door window frames (around the outer edges of the door). Yet another favourite place for rot to set in.

S.

Mambo said:
Which garage did you get to check out the rust?
Eastleigh Mercedes (near Southampton Airport)
They took measurements with a thickness meter and made all kinds of wild claims about one door being resprayed in the past (no idea if its true or not but pointed out that all 4 had gone rusty so wan't really an issue). They took some photos and sent them off to MB Central. There was a query about the mileage and did it have a service history, to which I replied it didn't have a service history, and then a few weeks later it was OK'd for 4 new doors and a tailgate. Work was carried out by an approved bodyshop a few miles away and they gave me a car for the 5 days it took.

Very pleased and suprised, although MB Eastleigh weren't the friendliest bunch when assessing it (which doesn't suprise me. I'd be a bit miserable if some chancer with no service history and 400,000 miles on the clock turns up and demands new doors. )

DrNick said:
Thats what it had then. Its 433,000 now. The doors are still immaculate!
Car still running ok? :D

IIRC I was one of the few people that recommended you buy it! What a bargain! :D

Shude said:
Car still running ok? :D

IIRC I was one of the few people that recommended you buy it! What a bargain! :D

I'm very pleased with it. Its not perfect but I'm keeping things under control!

I've just made my second warranty claim last week after spotting some rust under my boot lid handle. At the end of last year MB replaced both front wings and the drivers door, treated both rear arches and resprayed them along with both rear wings, resprayed all 4 doors to colour match both front and rear wings, resprayed the inside the fuel flap, the top of my R/O/S door and the inside of my boot (where the rubber stoppers from the boot lid touch the car body). All this work was done under warranty without any problem and I'm fully expecting the boot to be done under warranty too as it's a known problem area.

I have a Dec 99 W202 now with 51,000 miles and a FSH although the last service was non-dealer. All the work was done to perfection and I've been treated extremely well by the MB body shop in West Lothian. I was actually thanked this time round for bringing the car in so early as it would save them having to replace the boot-lid. The only part of the car that hasn't seen any warranty work has been the roof and bonnet however they currently have an 8 to 12 week backlog on warranty claims in my area so a little patience is required if making a claim. Finally they now need to have your V5 document photographed in the same picture as your car so anyone thinking of making a claim should take it along with your log book.

Corrosion on W202

MB contacted saying the notts dealer dealing with the case say they should give a goodwill repair but a big NO came from there waranty dept because no service history

Maxwell said:
MB contacted saying the notts dealer dealing with the case say they should give a goodwill repair but a big NO came from there waranty dept because no service history

Ask them how the service is going to stop rust.

Also check whether the claim has been filed under a "defective paintwork" code or "body corrosion".

A lot of rejected claims are down to incorrect coding.

My claim was manually submitted and i got an answer within 3 hours for a new tailgate.
I was polite and asked for a goodwill contribiution.
good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom