w202 Cruise Control Retro Fit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
frog1520 said:
How does the speed limiter normally work? I assume not all cruise controls have this... at least, if my S320 has it, ive no idea how to activate it!!! :(

You push the stalk in and if youve got it , will spring out and a yellow led will glow on it.

Hehe, we tried this in Steves VITO last week - since it has no kickdown it doesn't override the Limiter. Doesn't seem like anything dangerous to me, it's just a matter of not using it ;) I've actually never seen the point of it anyway, but what do I know - my car was built back in the stoneage or so...

My wife's manual mini has cruise and it operates exactly the same as my W202 Merc. You can accellerate and when you lift off it returns to the speed you set. Fairly sure it deactivates with the clutch.

Cruise control in combination with manual trannys always have clutch-deconnect as far as I know - but maybe there's need for something similar to the switch found on the brake pedal since it is a retrofit??

Dealyed this mod to next week due to being on leave from work. Will find out then!

We recently sold one of these arm's to a customer who was convinced that was all he needed, hasnt come back yet, so i guess it did work for him!

Ricky

Wish I had a limiter on the hire car I had last week near Stuttgart (Merc Mecca). The autobahn limit went from infinity to 60km/h for roadworks all in the space of 1km. I had no chance, the first I new was a large orange flash going off in my face which is slightly off putting in the dark. Oh well, at least the points won't apply on my clean UK licence !

...reminds me of trying to get info from MB to do the cruise control upgrade on my 1990 SL with ASR...couldn't be done they said as WIS only documents what to do on cars WITHOUT ASR...turned out to be the cheapest mod ever...just a stalk, plug and play...

On the UPDATED 202 with manual trans there is some coding onvolved and you might need a switch added to the clutch pedal but the upgrade won't be much more difficult then that...

greetingz,

is it possible to retrofit cruise to a W124 auto?

MBenzNL said:
...reminds me of trying to get info from MB to do the cruise control upgrade on my 1990 SL with ASR...couldn't be done they said as WIS only documents what to do on cars WITHOUT ASR...turned out to be the cheapest mod ever...just a stalk, plug and play...

On the UPDATED 202 with manual trans there is some coding onvolved and you might need a switch added to the clutch pedal but the upgrade won't be much more difficult then that...

greetingz,

Yes, anything is possible. but you will need the actuator, ECU and stalk...a lot more expensive than the facelift 202...

how much would all that cost?

V12 said:
Yes, anything is possible. but you will need the actuator, ECU and stalk...a lot more expensive than the facelift 202...

..except if this W124 has ASR, in that case you only need the stalk like Steve said (which applies to all cars with ASR)..

Does this mean that cars that aren't equipped with CC out of the factory have the amplifier, speed sensor and throttle actuator already installed?

Yes, ASR needs this as well.. Kinda makes you glad you weren't an original owner paying through your nose to have CC as well...

This mod is not forgotten, but slow to progress! I am booked to get my Cruise switch coded on the 20th October.

I'll keep you posted...

Well, it's true, a ~£40 part, ie the switch was all that was need to retro fit cruise to my '99 manual w202.

That and someone with the Mercedes equipment to "code it".

I have cruise but not the speed limiter functionality.

cruise.JPG

This is the original trim - the cut done very neatly IMO (not by me).

cruisehole.JPG

Thanks again to Steve and Sven for the part number.

very neat install..have a banana :bannana:

Once you go used to it there's no turning back...enjoy

brill mod deffo worth a narna - or two :bannana: :bannana:

Must admit - I thought I'd never use the limiter - but I have two spots where it's invaluable. One through Gateshead - the other York - strictly controlled areas at 30mph soooo easy to go over :eek: But you gotta have cruise these days :D so enjoy :D

Well done :)

Worth the wait?

S.

sym said:
Well done :)

Worth the wait?

S.

For sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom