W202 dash light broken - how to replace?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philepo

Car
C270 CDI (2004 w203)
Hi

Does anyone know how easy it is to replace a faulty light in the odometer / mileometer?

I'm guessing that if all the other lights are on then this isn't a separate fuse?

Do I risk setting off warning lamps / air bag faults by diving in there?

Cheers.

hi there do you mean the little LCD readout?

C230 kompressor i got this problem my milage dsnt show clearly its like when u have some dead pixels u know ? how can i fix that

C230 kompressor i got this problem my milage dsnt show clearly its like when u have some dead pixels u know ? how can i fix that

hi there
IIRC this is quite a common fault!
i dont know weather there is an easy fix but i have seen verious fixxing kits on ebay! there might some one on here who has done it before!

Hi,

It is the milometer readout that is now dark. The LCD is working cos you can see it in day light or with a torch, but the back lighting has gone. A bulb? Any ideas how to get at it? Cheers!

The cluster has to come out, easy if you have adjustable steering, the ignition must be OFF while the 2 connection plugs to the rear of the cluster are disconnected otherwise you will have an airbag warning light on all the time, requiring a reset at dealer. Steering wheel removal is not required.

Cluster hooks … Removal and Replacement of Expansion Valve
Cluster removal… 202Tech Instrument Cluster Removal

Dec
This may not be exactly the same as your car, depends on year of your car.
10839d1212434460-1994-w202-c280-fuel-low-level-light-replacement-cluster-back.jpg

ClusterPull.jpg

Dec , thanks a million for the post , but what should i do to fix the dead pixels ? if you could help me with that ill be grateful !! ill post a picture soon of my instrument cluster to show what i mean

Dec , thanks a million for the post , but what should i do to fix the dead pixels ? if you could help me with that ill be grateful !! ill post a picture soon of my instrument cluster to show what i mean

I know what you mean alright, I don’t know a lot about your particular problem, my reply was aimed at Philepo, others may be of more help however it would seem that you have two options;

Pay for the repair … Cluster Repairs UK - Instrument cluster speedometer repair, correction, modification and spares.

Fix it yourself, I believe this involves packing out the ribbon wire that feeds the LCD screen, contact is lost between the ribbon at the PCB board resulting in your symptoms. See… Auto Repair Tips: February 2009

Dec

Last edited:
cannot get this method to work

Dec,
I tried this and the cluster will not budge. I decided not to force too much incase i break anything. How long are the prongs on the end (the hook bits). Mine were 1 cm long.

Cheers, Philepo

That’s way too much, about 5mm is about right, there are exact measurements and design in a picture if you scroll down in this link here… Removal and Replacement of Expansion Valve
When you are pulling make sure the hook handle is horizontal at all times.
My hooks arent a great example but the do the job ok.

Another method is to remove the panel under steering wheel at driver’s knees and push the cluster out from behind.

Dec
Edit
This is what can can happen if you get it wrong and don’t keep the hook handles horizontal when pulling, hook slips and tears a chunk out of the glass on the way out.
Solution to that is to get another cluster from a scrap yard and swap over the front, glass part of the cluster.

Dec

10027d1205711926-removing-e-class-instument-cluster-clus.jpg

Last edited:
Dec,
I tried this and the cluster will not budge. I decided not to force too much incase i break anything. How long are the prongs on the end (the hook bits). Mine were 1 cm long.

Cheers, Philepo

As per Dec's post above , the hooks are way too long.

I have done mine before and and it was very tight to remove, so I had to push it from from behind as well as tugging it with home made hooks.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to leave this job. It is one of those things that irritates me that it is broken, but I would be unbelievably cheesed off if I broke the glass or set off a warning light.

Not worth it! Thanks tho.

Dec , i just choose the short way and got it fixed at a local shop :) it just cost me like 25 pounds .... but its so worth it , i can finally see the clock and the temp. and the km reading lol !

Its an expensive bulb though. As long as you have the ignition turned OFF while the 2 connection plugs to the rear of the cluster are disconnected then there is not a lot that can go wrong in doing it yourself, however you can brake the cluster alright, been there and done that but one from a scrap yard…£20… solved that problem.

Dec

Where to order bulbs

The cluster has to come out, easy if you have adjustable steering, the ignition must be OFF while the 2 connection plugs to the rear of the cluster are disconnected otherwise you will have an airbag warning light on all the time, requiring a reset at dealer. Steering wheel removal is not required.

Cluster hooks … Removal and Replacement of Expansion Valve
Cluster removal… 202Tech Instrument Cluster Removal

Dec
This may not be exactly the same as your car, depends on year of your car.
10839d1212434460-1994-w202-c280-fuel-low-level-light-replacement-cluster-back.jpg

ClusterPull.jpg
Great help, same dash as mine, but where can I buy complete replacement bulbs, with holders? I have been offered bulbs only and 1.2w not 2w! Is there a UK site I can order from as I live in Australia.

Your local MB dealer will supply .

Dec
Edit; picture updated

Attachments

• Cluster back.jpg
    Cluster back.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 78
Thanks for this, Dec. I've just replaced a general illumination bulb and the mileage bulb (and broken the display glass into the bargain - superglue is holding it all together for the time being.)

In doing so, I found out that facelift bulbs are different. They are all 1.5w. This even managed to confuse the dealer.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom