W202 Dvd/gps Screen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Hello! I found this <http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8335&highlight=screen> while looking for a way to integrate a screen into my merc. So I pose this question to those more knowledgeable than me!

Would you recommend to:
a-fit a screen like this with gpc and dvd attached from the boot,
b-fit a comand (do they have a dvd player?)
c-fit one of those flip down things instead of the center-light and relocate the buttons for the rearlight?

If (a or c) how does one control the gps unit (like to enter the trip). If (b) does this have a cd, mp3 and/or dvd player in it?.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a motorised flip-out screen that has a dvd player built in and accepts gps input?
Thanks
Spinal
P.S. Sorry, but I have no idea how the gps interfaces with the screen, so Im probably asking alot of stupid questions

Hmmm, the command looks really nice and professional. I also noticed there are 2 inctruments (a radio and something else...) while Ionly have hole in my car. Do you happen to know if its possible to play music/movies on the comand, and if so, what the power outputs are? (i.e. would I need an external amp to power 52watt speakers?)
Thanks
Spinal

The Clarion unit in mine fits into a single DIN slot, the screen flips out. On the stowaway amp/interface it has inputs for an optional navigation unit and TV tuner. It also has standard video inputs if you wanted to hook a PS2 or VCR up to it. It can also play DVD's and MP3's on CD-Rs.

The GPS would be controlled by the screen as it's a touchscreen. I did think about fitting a Comand unit but seemed too much alterations to the dash was needed so went for the simplest and least conspicuous solution.

Spinal said:
Hmmm, the command looks really nice and professional. I also noticed there are 2 inctruments (a radio and something else...) while Ionly have hole in my car. Do you happen to know if its possible to play music/movies on the comand, and if so, what the power outputs are? (i.e. would I need an external amp to power 52watt speakers?)
Thanks
Spinal

BTW the instrument below the comand unit is the digtal climate control panel that's been shifted down from usual heater controls position. If you don't have it, you'd have to leave your heater controls in the usual place and mount the comand unit lower down.

Spinal said:
Thanks
Spinal
My brother has a Clarion navigation in his W202, but prefers the original MB comands. Although it's true what Mick says... installing a comand in a W202 is not 'just plug and play'; for one thing, the wood panel around the comand will leave a gap just above it... You have to find a solution for that yourself.

However, if you would - ever - consider retrofitting a multifunctional steering wheel and instrument cluster in your car, the original MB comand can be controlled from the steering wheel buttons. That is NOT the case with aftermarket nav.units.

Greetingz,

BigSis

How do you select a destination that isn't a postcode? Let's say you are going to meet some-one in a carpark or trying to find a steam engine rally held in a field. How do you enter your destination on those systems?

nickmann said:
How do you select a destination that isn't a postcode? Let's say you are going to meet some-one in a carpark or trying to find a steam engine rally held in a field. How do you enter your destination on those systems?

in that situation, you'd probably have to put in the name of a road near to the destination. It all depends on how good the database is on the system you're using. On mine, I don't have to input anything, it dials up a call centre and you get to speak to a real live person who will sort the route out for you.

Shude, top job on the comand install. would love to have a look at the thing for real!

mickl, do you happen do know the model of your clarion unit? That seems like a quite trouble free-idea until I decide what to do regarding a gps. Especially considering the only comand I can find on ebay at the moment doesnt have a cd-slot.
And thanks to shude, I had noticed your great HOWTO. Its less the fitting and more the which one that is puzzling me. An no, I do not plan to change the steering wheel to the newer one. I was thinking of either the amg wheel or a Momo wheel (hey! Im Italian, so don't bump Italian wheels :p)

On a second note (I know its meant to be in bodywork, but this cuts down post numbers) does anyone know of waterproof car covers for the W202? Or of anyone that custom makes them? I would hate to have to buy a universal one and start sewing...ugh! (Maybe I could get my grandma to do it!!!)
Spinal

Model no is CLARION VRX928RVD. It's a great unit. Install is very easy. Just 1 cable going from the stowaway unit to the head unit. Eveything connects up to the stowaway unit. If you have it installed in the boot and you wanted to add a CD changer later on, just plug in and go. Same with the navigation unit. The cable to the headunit is fairly thick though, slightly thicker than a co-ax TV aerial cable.

Wow! I just scanned ebay for one of those... They aren't cheap ;) All of a sudden I feel that the case on the command has shot up! I think I'll scan some car demolition and scrap yards for one cheap as eBay doesn't have much on comands. I just have 2 questions, a- Is it "command" or "comand" ? and b- Any recomendations on one that does dvd/cd and gps? I would appreciate the model of the unit and the car model its usually fitted on (I am going to look at scrap yards, so that would simplify my life!).

As a reward, I'll tell you a not so funny story that happened to me today. Yesterday I removed my plates to apply some of that "photoblocker" stuff. Before you ask, I've never had a speeding ticket, and don't plan too; but this is more of a novelty item, so as it was 10£ I decided to give it a shot. I removed the plates, cleaned them, sprayed them and left them in the garage to dry. This morning I drove to the undergroudn station,t hen in the evening back home from the station parking. Only when I got home I realised I had forgotten to fit the plates back!!! Oh well, I might post some pics of the plates when they're finished.
Spinal

I was lucky and got hold of a 2nd hand unit for much less than half price. :bannana:

interior1.jpg

interior3.jpg

pics of the Clarion install

<drooling> I saw those pics in the other section. That is one nice head-unit!!! Now the point comes, save up for a new head unit or for a turbo conversion? (They cost about the same!!! )
Spinal

Spinal said:
<drooling> I saw those pics in the other section. That is one nice head-unit!!! Now the point comes, save up for a new head unit or for a turbo conversion? (They cost about the same!!! )
Spinal

ok, how about this....the headunit you can take with you to put in another car, the turbo install........................... ;)

Hmm, good point. I guess I'll start saving up after Ive gotten the exhaust/waxoyl thing cleared up!
Spinal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom