W202 EIS and key problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marty359

Car
BMW 330d with indicators and Jeep Renegade also with indicators
Cleaning the car the other night I managed to get a couple of drips of water near the ignition switch, didn't think any more of it after wiping it off as it was only a tiny amount.

A couple of hours later I went into the garage and the engine fan is running :doh: ok so a little water must of got inside shorting something out. Put the smart key in the ignition and didn't get the normal clunk of the steering lock switching off and the key didn't turn, so I unplugged the fan under the bonnet.

I left it overnight and the next morning it was the same, the key would unlock the doors but wouldn't turn in the ignition so I took off the EIS and left it in the sun. Got home from work and put it all back together and the key will now turn and I have all dash lights but it won't start. I then stripped it down again and opened the EIS case(if you ever do this be careful as the screwdriver could quite easily go straight into the pcb!) no visible signs of water marks.

position 1= srs light
position 2= all dash lights
another turn and nothing, completely dead
when looking at the infra red tip on the key through a digi camera it seems fine

Could this be the immobiliser? anyone got any secret little tips I can try before I send it off to be repaired tomorrow?

Could be wrong but,if you unplug the EIS then reconnect it,I was lead to believe
it needs star to reintroduce it.

Hmmmm that could be a problem then :(

Anyone want to nip out to their car to confirm this :D

Interesting,someone that should know better has being telling me
Porkies.:( was told that if a can-code component was unplugged it
would not "handshake" with the ECU unless reintroduced with star.

I still have this problem :wallbash:

The eis has been in for repair and returned to me but it still didn't work so I sent it back. Im now told it keeps bringing up hash errors and needs a new one from a main dealer:eek: that's obviously going to cost more than the cars worth so what are my option's?

It's now being returned to me with a full refund.

Would an ecu, eis and key from a different w202 work or is there more to it than that? Would it all need coding to my car?

I really dont want to scrap it or sell it as a non runner :(

You need a matched set of key(s) main ecu and steering lock. I swapped a set from a 97 to a 99 c250td and one was a sport the other an elegance. So any same engine version should be able to be swapped.

Thanks Guy. Did you have any difficulty removing the steering lock and did you use a grinder on the security pins?

I should of snapped up a working set off ebay a few weeks back for £150.

I'm waiting for a reply from replacement mercedes keys to see if they can help, if not I'll try to source a set.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom