w202, engine variations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gina2201

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4 Quattro Avant S-Line
ok, so I have had two w202's, one C200 and one C230K, both great, c230k one of the best cars/engines I've had.

Cannot seem to find another kompressor to the same spec as mine anywhere so am looking at C280's, C240's and did see a C180 which looked like a good buy, but fear it may be underpowered?

Any comments? :)

I have looked at estates and 4x4's but my budget is limited so wanting good value and it's a minefield! Saw a Mercedes E320 estate with cream leather for £795, but insurance quote was too high for me to justify. Shame as it looked a nice car.

Looked at fronteras, freelanders, range rovers (too huge!), estates of every car available, but cannot pin point one as yet.

Saw a c280 with full leather for £950 but it's 200 miles away so awkward to view, going all that way I want to come home with it! Aslong as I have a decent boot space and room for a dog then that's fine. My mum is talking about getting another 4x4 in the near future so I can borrow that as and when.

with a budget of 1k I would steer clear of any of those 4x4's!

You should be looking at a Fourtrak or vitara. I would say an old disco but you really do need to know what you are looking at with them.

Freelanders should be avoided in every respect.

I would suggest if you got a C280, get the straight six rather than the V6, basically because of running costs, the v6 will have 2 of everything to worry about, 12 plugs, 2 cats, 2 air filters... etc

And coming from a 230K you might feel that its smoother in its power delivery, but if u enjoyed the 'skittish' fashion in which the 230k delivers its power, then you might not like the 280. The 280 would sound better tho.

Basically the variations are:

C180 1.8 (underpowered)
C200 2.0
C220 2.2
C220 cdi (not sure at ur budget)
C230 2.3 L4 (and later a 2.6 V6 but i think thats w203)
C230K (2.3 supercharged)
C240 2.4 V6
C250 TD (torquey, and bullet proof engine)
C280 V6 and L6 (did the c280 ever get the 3L v6 engine?)
C36 3.6
C43 4.3 V8

Last edited:
At that budget you could look at the pre facelift C220 petrols as well.

I have looked at estates and 4x4's but my budget is limited so wanting good value and it's a minefield! Saw a Mercedes E320 estate with cream leather for £795, but insurance quote was too high for me to justify. Shame as it looked a nice car.

Looked at fronteras, freelanders, range rovers (too huge!), estates of every car available, but cannot pin point one as yet.

Saw a c280 with full leather for £950 but it's 200 miles away so awkward to view, going all that way I want to come home with it! Aslong as I have a decent boot space and room for a dog then that's fine. My mum is talking about getting another 4x4 in the near future so I can borrow that as and when.

If you are looking for a 4wd for that sort of money you would be better off with an older RAV 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom