W202 Facelift bumper questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Ive noticed that the facelifted W202 has 'skirts' front back and sides which have replaced the black trim under the orignal W202.

Looking at these, (Front and back) they appear to clip on the exsisting bumpers front for example.

Can these be purchased from MB?

Last edited by a moderator:
No - its a moulded part - all one piece I'm afraid. You would have to buy the entire bumper.

S.

Last edited:
Originally posted by sym
No - its a moulded part - all one piece I'm afraid. You would have to buy the entire bumper.
It's not a moulded part, the lower parts of the bumper are mounted using plastic "rivets". Here is a bag of them for those that don't believe me :)

plasticrivets.jpg

One of the plastic rivets on my front bumper has split, I need to take a wheel and front inner mudguard off to re-attach it. Needless to say I've not been bothered enough to actually do it yet...but I will...honest! :)

You can't fit facelift painted parts to a non-facelift bumper. You *could* fit rieger-tuning bumper add-ons instead, which look nice and would be cheaper than oem pieces.

http://www.riegertuning.de

w202 catalogue pages:
http://www.rieger-tuning.de/de/Modellshow/Mercedes/W202/182.pdf
http://www.rieger-tuning.de/de/Modellshow/Mercedes/W202/184.pdf

I stand corrected !!

(But you would still need to buy a facelift bumper .. right ?)

Originally posted by sym
(But you would still need to buy a facelift bumper .. right ?)
To fit the oem lower painted bits? Yes. If you want the rieger tuning parts you have to fit the pre-facelift bumpers! :)

Originally posted by GiZi
I also thought the same as schude says butt got confused by seeing this .. seems to be pre facelift bumpers with facelift lower parts
:eek:
Well, I guess they CAN be fitted then! I suppose you could just screw the lower panels straight on! The bumpers look *similar* but they're not the same, a good bodyshop could probably do the job.

I have seen facelift lower lip on a pre-facelift bumper, I have not seen the rear one done before.

I have a few other detailed pics.

So how are the bottom(s) of the bumpers different? - Apart from the lip

Do MB stock just the buttom lip (front bumper)?

Originally posted by BBW
Do MB stock just the buttom lip (front bumper)?
Would you like a set of facelift lower sections and sideskirts? I have some spares :)

Originally posted by Shude
Would you like a set of facelift lower sections and sideskirts? I have some spares :)

Sold Nick. ( If you still have them).:D

Originally posted by GRAV888
Sold Nick. ( If you still have them).:D
I still have a complete set of 1998 w202 bumpers and sideskirts. They're in 891 Alexandrite Green. They'd need some attention if someone wanted to put them onto another facelift car the same colour, but if they're going to be painted to match then the bodyshop would clean them up so they'd look brand new.

I guess I should take them out of "storage", wash them and take some pics :)

I'll have them off you.
Any chance you can take to GTG?
Bit big I know,but a man of your means etc etc.;) ;)

ps. You not just got the lower sections?:confused:

Last edited:
Originally posted by Koolvin
I have seen facelift lower lip on a pre-facelift bumper, I have not seen the rear one done before.
The rear doesn't fit well (look behind the rear wheel)...I would rather have a set of updated bumpers then that I would want to ruin the oldstyle bumpers for the newstyle look...to get the smooth 1-piece look one will definitely have to cut the lower bumper part off the old bumper...

greetingz,

Is it possible to buy the lips alone then?!?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom