W202 Fault Code Scanner / Fault Reader - which of these shall I get?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

420SE

Car
W202 C220 CDi

Not sure how old your 202 diesel is but pretty sure most code readers say petrols 2001 onwards and diesels 2004 onwards, if you are ever out Maidstone way you are more than welcome to pop in and try my u581 before buying one and possibly finding its doesnt work.

Lynall

I had a 1999 C200 petrol and the U581 worked on that but it would only read the engine code faults but I had to buy another cable because it did not have a 16 pin connector in the cab only the one under the bonnet.

Thanks for the info folks. It is a 2000 reg C220CDi saloon. :)

Norman - did your unit clear the codes or just read them?

Yes I was able to clear the codes no problem.
I disconnected my MAF sensor and got the code and then cleared it

Has anyone used their laptop instead of a dedicated scanner?

A search on the interweb has thrown up several possibilities of suitable software, and the leads/adaptors are readily available.

Im currently using the EU702 which I have found to be the next best thing to the actual Star Diagnostic software from Mercedes. Covers all engine, airbag/srs and trans faults. Also does service indicator but this can be done by following a specific procedure anyway.

Tried a few of the laptop programs with OBDII connections but most struggle to read logging chanels albeit they do reset the engine light only.

Basically the more you spend the more you can do.

Has anyone used their laptop instead of a dedicated scanner?

A search on the interweb has thrown up several possibilities of suitable software, and the leads/adaptors are readily available.
Yep - with one of the cheap £10 chinese EM327 clones off ebay - sevaral bits of freeware will work with this for reading and clearing fault codes - I also wrote my own (logs to windows performance counters and allows you to record/see pretty graphs - slow refresh rate though - needed to connect to the CAN bus to get faster up-dates). Lost interest after getting it all working though (challenge over) used it once in anger since then.

wheres the 16 pin plug hidden on a w202?

What I would do (like I actually did) is to go to dealextreme.com and buy the Carsoft 7.4 HW.
Then you simply need a computer with physical COM port and you are all set. You see error codes, live data, can reprogram certain functions, etc.
Price was ~50GBP.

Below img is an actual screenshot of Live data on mine.
My opinion is that this piece of HW is worth every penny.

carsoft20feb2010.jpg

i take it i can buy the cable on evilbay?

Yes - although best to get as a bundle with the scanner - then if you get any issues it's easier to deal with.

What I would do (like I actually did) is to go to dealextreme.com and buy the Carsoft 7.4 HW.
Then you simply need a computer with physical COM port and you are all set. You see error codes, live data, can reprogram certain functions, etc.
Price was ~50GBP.

Below img is an actual screenshot of Live data on mine.
My opinion is that this piece of HW is worth every penny.

carsoft20feb2010.jpg

Very useful info, many thks! I usually buy torches from Dealextreme, didn't know they sell anything else useful! Ha! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom